Retrieve recovery file – corrupt?!

• June 4, 2019 at 5:47 pm #240195
      Desiree Bennett
      Participant

Has anyone had any success retrieving a recovery file that says it is “missing or corrupt”?? I was 100% completely done with a pretty complex design, and of course I’d been too focused to bother saving… I miss the old .bak files where you could still retrieve the most recent auto save!

• June 4, 2019 at 6:15 pm #240215
      Kristopher Papaleo
      Participant

Hi Desiree,

The .BAK file will only be created if the file was fist named and saved. After that, the auto save will keep saving any work you do to the .BAK. If the design was never saved at the beginning, then the auto save wont work.

It is also a possibility that the .BAK was corrupted as well. To be certain of this, I would recommend to call us at 1-866-687-2020 to have an agent look it over.

Kris

• June 4, 2019 at 6:20 pm #240216
      Desiree Bennett
      Participant

Thanks Kris, but with this new version of 2020, there are no longer .bak files – they all go into the recovery files folder.  The file was named and saved, but there is no .bak file. I worked on it for several hours, and my auto save is set for every 5 minutes (which has never been a problem), but nothing was backed up the old .bak way.  If there is a way to disable the recover files folder and go back to the .bak files, I would be more than happy to do so!!  I have already began the redo, so there’s really no sense in calling in at this point.

• June 4, 2019 at 6:27 pm #240217
      Kristopher Papaleo
      Participant

Hi Desiree,

We never removed the .BAK system, we only introduced a new system which is the File Recovery System. The .BAK files are saved in the same location you save your designs to. If there are no backups being created for you, you might have a larger issue and should call in to have us take a look at it.

Kris

• June 4, 2019 at 7:46 pm #240218

Hi Desiree,

Kristopher is correct – I have a mix of Designers on various V11 versions up to and including V11.2 and I am on the Beta V12. They ALL produce .BAK files after the original drawing has been named. Can I suggest checking your Autosave feature is enabled and set to about 5 minutes?

Also (& I cannot stress this strongly enough) get into the habit of incremental saves either manually or as built into later versions of Design – this has saved my and many other of my Designers so much hassle.

Years ago on V6.4 onwards, I got into the habit of incremental saving every time I made about 5 minutes of majorish changes – save as Fred-001.KIT then 5 minutes later Fred-002.kit and so on. Later versions of V11 have the option built in on the “Save As” dialogue although I would love to have a keyboard shortcut for it although it only takes a few seconds to add the “Save As” button to the Toolbar:

Attachments:

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.