V12 White appliance that are actually white?

• January 19, 2022 at 12:44 pm #355969
      Ariana Thompson
      Participant

Hey gang – Am I the only one having an problem with this?  All the white appliances in the Cloud, in the 2020 Accessories, even the local appliance catalogues from companies like Miele – all the white appliances look greyish and dirty next to white cabinets in V12.

I end up having to pull one of the ancient appliances from ROOM-APP and re-texturing it.

As a lot of these appliances looked white in V11 –  is it the render engine?  It’s frustrating because the appliances in 2020 Appliances in the Cloud DON’T let me manually change the texture to anything I want – I need to use the “predecided” colours – which I don’t want. I would understand that for manufacturers catalogues – but the ones from 2020 should give me more control as they should be “generic”.

Does anyone have a fix for this?

Thanks!Ariana

• January 20, 2022 at 12:10 pm #356071
      Kristopher Papaleo
      Participant

Hi Ariana,

We were able to test rendering a white appliance and white cabinetry from the Sample catalog in v12.5.1. The first image attached is being rendered in EZ Render and does not have any user added lights in it. The second image attached is the same view being rendered in Redway 3D and again, does not have any user added lights. We can see that there is a large difference right away where the cabinetry looks grey in Redway 3D. The reason for this is because there are no lights in the drawing. The third image attached is rendered in Redway and has 3 omni lights and the final image is that of the floor plan with the added user lights.

Are you currently using redway or ez render? If you are using redway,  I would suggest to add some light sources in the drawing. Which version of 12 are you currently using? Perhaps this was an issue in a previous version of 12. Here is an article to switch from redway to ez render.

Regards,

Kris

• January 22, 2022 at 5:32 pm #356193
      Ariana Thompson
      Participant

Hi Kris,

I’m on V12.5.1.32  I’m using the EZ Render

I have attached an image of an example kitchen.  the ONLY hood fan I could find that rendered actually white – and wasn’t ugly – was the Elmira.  I literally couldn’t find a stove – so I used one of the old ones from the ROOM-APP catalogue – so I could change the colour to white paint.

As you can see, the fridge doesn’t render white – it renders grey.  I’m sure that’s because whoever programmed the colour specified glossy – which will render grey.

It took two Omni lights at 80 watts both near the fridge to make it look white.

I guess my major frustration is that there are “2020” appliances in the cloud – but I can’t just change them to any colour I want. I have to use the Configurator.  I should be able to manipulate a 2020 generic appliance any way I want – that’s the point of “generic”.  There are lots of folks with old fridges – people who have painted their fridges, or got a weird one from Joe’s obscure appliance store, y’know?

I should be able to pick a good looking French Door fridge from the 2020 cloud – change the dims, and choose ANY texture to make it look the way I want it to look.

As it is – the white appliances render grey – and it makes me actually angry as I’m designing.  -sigh-  Looks like I might have to start searching SketchUp for appliances I can manipulate properly.

• January 22, 2022 at 6:03 pm #356203
      Ariana Thompson
      Participant

For reference, here is a “white” appliance from the Cloud, and an old appliance from the ROOM APP that I recoloured in Generic Paint White Flat.

EZ Render – no Omnis – render settings at default

• January 24, 2022 at 4:35 pm #356257
      Kristopher Papaleo
      Participant

Hi Ariana,

I think the issue may be the lighting in the drawing. I had just installed the version 12.5.1 on my system so I can give it a test myself but I was pleasantly surprised with the look I got. See the attached image below. The middle oven is the one from the Room_App catalog (in the original Metal-White texture) and the ovens on either sides are both 2020 Appliances from the Cloud catalog. When I made these images, I made sure to use 4 walls (a closed square) to make sure that I was using all the lighting produced by the walls.

As for the generic cloud appliances, I will have to see if changing their textures will be an option in the future or if this is how it will remain.

Regards,

Kris

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.