2020 bringing me steps back

• September 24, 2019 at 3:16 pm #250420
      Sanoma Kitchens
      Participant

Can someone please explain why 2020 likes to take me 20 steps back randomly. This is becoming quite infuriating.

• September 25, 2019 at 9:49 am #250485
      Neil Wilson
      Participant

Hello,

Issues like that usually occur when 2020 is in a low memory state.  Here is what I like to call my 32 bit speech.  It explains the issue and gives some tips on how to avoid it.

Out of memory messages are an ongoing issue with 2020 that they are working hard to resolve.  The Issue arises from the fact that 2020 Design is still a 32bit application.  As a result of that Windows will only ever assign about 2.5 GB of RAM to the program.  If 2020 has been open for a long period (3-4 hours), If there are multiple designs or multiple renderings open, if you modify mouldings or countertops, if you import Items from Sketchup or use imported textures, etc… the memory allotment fills up and you will start to get these errors.

To avoid the error the first thing to do is make sure you are on the latest version of the software.  They made some changes in version 11.8 and higher that have a positive effect on memory management.  If you have been working in 2020 for 3 or 4 hours save what you are working on and then close and reopen the software.  Make sure you have the latest driver for your video card.  Newer drivers are generally more efficient than older drivers.  Other things you can try is to limit the size of your designs.  If you usually layout the entire ground floor of the house, try to limit it to just the kitchen or bathroom you are designing instead.  Limit the number of items imported from Sketchup.  2020 has no control over the quality of the items generated in Sketchup and as such some of them will cause issues with the software.  The same with importing textures.  Imported textures are much “Heavier” than textured pulled from the catalogs and can cause the out of memory issues.

Hope that helps and when we go to the 64 bit version of the software (V12) later this year most of the memory issues should go away.

Neil

• September 25, 2019 at 1:00 pm #250645
      Sanoma Kitchens
      Participant

I just had a Ryzen 9 12 core processor, with the nvidia 2070 super built. My pc can handle it. There are far to many errors and glitches for a “professional” design program.

• September 25, 2019 at 1:07 pm #250646
      Neil Wilson
      Participant

Hello,

The issue has nothing to do with your computer.  Which looks pretty Sweet!  The 2070 is a great card.  It has everything to do with the limitations placed on 32 bit software by Windows.  As I said above, these issues will be greatly relieved with the release of the 64 bit version later this year.

Neil

• September 25, 2019 at 1:10 pm #250647
      Sanoma Kitchens
      Participant

I’m really not sure why there is so many issues working with block based cad program. To me things have been made far more difficult then they should be.

• September 25, 2019 at 2:23 pm #250687
      Sanoma Kitchens
      Participant

I am quite looking forward to seeing what changes will be in this new program. Hopefully part of that is fixing the load heavy decorative items, as well more 3d spacial functionality.

• October 9, 2019 at 11:40 am #252487
      muhammet isik
      Participant

Don’t do a Control Z after changing or modifying countertop or molding. This makes 2020 crazy and get back you to the 20 and sometimes 30 steps.

• October 10, 2019 at 9:57 am #252573
      Neil Wilson
      Participant

Hi Muhammet,

The Undo bug is one we are currently working to resolve.  If you could provide us with steps to reproduces and a file it consistently occurs in it would be very helpful.  You can email the file and the repro steps to residentialsupport@2020spaces.com.

Thank you for your help and your input.

Neil

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Topic Tags