2020 Design V11.12

• March 15, 2019 at 9:52 am #229710
      Santiago Morales
      2020 Expert

Hello 2020 Design users, V11.12 is now available!

WHAT’S NEW IN 2020 DESIGN VERSION 11.12?

1. We’ve added a brand new multiple dimensions tool to increase efficiency while dimensioning a floor plan or elevation.
      2. With the latest magicplan enhancements, we’ve improved walls and windows position’s accuracy. We now support the mapping of a variety of items inserted in magicplan such as doors, windows, appliances, plumbing, electrical and structural items.
      3. Angled Beams were added to the Room catalog. These can be easily placed using the drag and drop function. Their height, width and the textures can also be modified.
      4. Three types of light sources were added to light up some of the darker areas of your rooms and renderings; one that shines up, one that shines down and an omni-directional light.

Thank you,

Santiago

• March 20, 2019 at 1:41 am #230123
      RemodelMe
      Participant

Thank you.  Could you please work on an “Editable Subway”  or an editable offset grouted tile option.  Sometimes importing a subway image does not articulate well and doing it manually is just time consuming.  Thank you in advance from all us grateful designers who love using 2020!  Oh and lastly and thank you for the new angled beams!  That is huge! Can’t wait to start putting them into plan.

• November 26, 2019 at 8:00 pm #260731
        Jasmine Shymko
        Participant

Hello, I’m new to this forum. I am thinking of upgrading to version 11.12 but some members of my team are still on 11.7.1. If I upgrade my version of 2020 will my team members be able to open up my designs? I know version 12 is not backwards compatible to 11, but I’m wondering about 11.12 being compatible with 11.7 since it is the same major version

• March 20, 2019 at 8:53 am #230124
      Santiago Morales
      2020 Expert

Hello “Remodelme”,   : )

Thank you for the feedback and am glad you appreciate the angled beams.  We took note of your tiling request.

Thank you!

Santiago

• March 21, 2019 at 9:16 pm #230758

Hi Remodelme,

There is a tiny tile catalog available to do this – please try the Facebook (independent) group:  https://www.facebook.com/groups/208007849836990/

It has offset metro tiles that are resizable. It allows for alternate rows of different sizes. See attached picture.

Attachments:
    • March 22, 2019 at 2:37 am #230768
      RemodelMe
      Participant

Thank you so much

• March 23, 2019 at 6:09 pm #230872
      Erik Tornquist
      Participant

Sweet!

And thanks for the info, Santiago. Looking forward to the Multi Dimensional tool!

• April 1, 2019 at 6:05 pm #231773
      The Laminex Group
      2020 Partner

The Multi-Dimensions tools is great, see video here of it here: https://youtu.be/g3owZEQBI6s

• April 19, 2019 at 10:18 pm #235353
      Pauline Ribbans
      Participant

I am having lots of issues with this update, cabinet centring isn’t working; tabs in my ribbon don’t work. Notes won’t number. Doors won’t drop in. Bit of a nightmare really. What has happened?

Pauline

• April 19, 2019 at 10:25 pm #235354

I’ve not seen any such issues so IMHO, you have a registry issue so first thing is to make a note of all of your Preferences and then try a registry reset from All Programs/Design/Tools/Maintenance Tools. Once you have done the registry reset (might as well clear temp files at the same time – it’s in the same section) then re-enter all your preferences and try again.

The other thing it could be is if you installed over the top of an earlier version as this often causes issues. If the registry reset doesn’t work, try a basic uninstall/re-install and try again (this leaves catalogues and preferences in place). If this doesn’t work, try a complete uninstall/re-install, re-install any needed catalogues and try again. If this doesn’t work then you really have problems!!

The registry reset is quick, easy and seems to cure 90% of such issues but it may be worth waiting for an ‘official’ response.

• April 22, 2019 at 2:06 am #235367
      Pauline Ribbans
      Participant

Thanks Mike, I found by deleting things from the quick access toolbar I was able to get things working again. Very strange!

• April 26, 2019 at 9:32 pm #236006

Although I am sure everyone appreciates the new features, can you PLEASE fix some of the bugs that I and others have been complaining about for a long time. An example is the broken Draw/Arc option where you can no longer type in radius etc without it picking some weird amount. It has been doing this since V10 and I have pointed this bug out on pretty much every version since.

Also, is anybody else have trouble with ceiling scribes doing odd things in V11.12?

• May 6, 2019 at 7:14 pm #236366
      McKenzie Thoelke
      Participant

I just downloaded this version and am having problems with the decorative items. In the previous version they were showing up in the plan view as an actual item (towel bar, tissue holder, etc.). Now in plan view they are showing as rectangular blocks. Also, when I go to print, the decorative items disappear from plan view. Mostly sinks, lighting and bath hardware. I was hoping this update would fix all those previous issues. Any suggestions on how to fix it?

• May 7, 2019 at 7:55 pm #236542

Hi Mackenzie,

Re the blocks, have you got 3D display set on in Preferences? Go to File, Preferences and tick the 2 3D options (see attached).

The second issue sounds like you have those items switched off in the display scheme. Which tab are you trying to print? if the ‘Print’ tab then right click in a blank area, choose Display Settings, Items and expand the General option and check that Decorative Items is ticked – if it isn’t tick it then save the scheme back under the same name. The same technique applies to the other tabs and display schemes. The Display Schemes are very powerful and it is worth learning about them.

• May 24, 2019 at 10:27 am #239392
      maria c venegas
      Pilot Pro

hello, i am having issues with my 2020 cloud, it stays thinking and it does not log in, do we know why?? thanks

• June 17, 2019 at 1:03 pm #241194
      Tyler Kehl
      Participant

When I use any lighting fixture from 2020 cloud, it doesn’t actually produce a light source in the rendering. When I right-click the object and select “Light Properties”, the Intensity and Profile are locked from editing. Am I doing something wrong and is there a solution?

• June 18, 2019 at 7:44 pm #241351

The cloud lighting does not yet produce actual light – this is known and will be changed at some point in the future (we are told). I’d suggest getting the UNDRGRND catalogue and using the invisible lighting from this catalogue and positioning the light where the bulb would be in the cloud fixture.

To get UNDRGRND just google “UNDRGRND catalog 2020 Design”

• June 18, 2019 at 10:12 pm #241353
      Santiago Morales
      Participant

Hello Mike,

Correct we will be having at some point light emitting Cloud items.  Your suggestion is great.

In fact, since our last release (V11.12) we now have emitting light sources in the Room_Fur catalog:

• A light that shines up
      • A light that shines down
      • A light that shines in all directions.

Thank you,

Santiago

• June 19, 2019 at 10:32 am #241358
      Ariana Thompson
      Participant

Hi Mike,

The pucks/recessed lights from the Generic Room Catalogue can be made invisible from their Attributes.  Just go to the Variables tab and switch “Display in 3D” to OFF.

I have them stored in my Idea Centre that way.

Ariana

• June 19, 2019 at 7:02 pm #241403

Hi Ariana,

Thanks for the advice – very helpful!

Cheers

Mike

• August 7, 2019 at 4:28 pm #245170
      Ramona Claassen
      Participant

Can anyone please tell me how get my ceiling levels to be flush when I have adjoining rooms with different floor levels?

• August 8, 2019 at 5:02 pm #245375
      Ariana Thompson
      Participant

How did you get the different floor levels, Ramona?

Did you use the Custom Shape Cube to create a “block” as the floor in the room with the higher floor level, and then float all the cabinets in that room?

Like this?

Attachments:
    • August 9, 2019 at 12:29 pm #245534
      Karin Abston
      Participant

I am having issues with pulling up the item spec. I get a pop up and then 2020 crashes. It says there is an issue with my Adobe Reader, which is current.

• August 12, 2019 at 9:28 am #245610
      Santiago Morales
      Participant

Hello Karin,

Thank you for the feedback.  We will look into this.  An agent might contact you to gather additional details.

Thank you,

Santiago

• August 12, 2019 at 11:19 am #245711
      Neil Wilson
      Participant

Hi Karin,

Which catalog are you using?  Most of my catalogs no longer have the specs option but the Merillat catalog I installed worked fine.

I’m running Adobe Reader 9 on my machine.  Do you know which version of Adobe you are running?

Neil

• September 9, 2019 at 5:52 pm #248483
      rdN Design
      Participant

This program CONSTANTLY CRASHES. It could be the littlest thing. I can’t duplicate or copy anything without having to worry that I’m going to run into crashes. If I open a new work space and want to use the same walls from another space I can’t copy those walls?! WHY?! That shouldn’t be such a huge deal or issue. This program shouldn’t crash from that. My computer is BRAND NEW! I have More than enough RAM to run. I can run Multiple windows of REVIT, AUTOCAD, SKETCHUP AND/OR 3DS AT THE SAME TIME AND THOSE PROGRAMS WON’T CRASH and the file size are much bigger than 2020 as well!! I never have anything other than 2020  and chrome open and it crashes! It so sad. There are also no error messages. So I can’t even call or leave that in this forum so that it can be fixed.

I have to find work arounds to the littlest of thing. Why? Shouldn’t it be obvious that the middle mouse wheel should move you around your plan at all times? Even when you have it to where you want to place anything?

You all don’t have in house software testers? This is just one problem I have with this garbage of a program. EVERYDAY a crash?! Why?! I am constantly restarting my computer just to satisfy this program. That should not be the case. This is an industry standard program there is no reason for this program to be so BAD!

You all need to do better.

• September 9, 2019 at 8:20 pm #248504

Hi Ron,

I support about 50+ designers and although we get the occasional crash, it really is quite rare as in less than 1 per designer per week with most designers doing 2-3 designs per day. Most crashes are down to a few factors and that includes older graphics drivers and running out of memory. You don’t mention which version you are on or the spec of your PC so the following are general guides.

The first thing I would do is check that your graphics drivers are up to date (if you have a choice, try the WHQL approved drivers first) and that 2020 is set to use the NVidia or AMD graphics adapters as a default (if you have multiple adapters in your system).

Next, use the Maintenance Tools option to clear out any temporary files.

Avoid certain antivirus programs (I stick with Microsoft’s own and a weekly scan with the free version of MalwareBytes). Norton’s is a particularly troblesome one.

Avoid having many custom textures and Sketchup shapes. These can be the cause of many crashes – both options eat memory which is a BIG cause of crashes in V11 as it is a 32bit program and can only address a max of 4gb ram. V12 is 64 bit which will help a lot.

Close as many other programs as you can when Designing.

Reboot first thing in the morning and around lunch time – this ensures your machine is as clog free as possible. If you have an SSD as your boot drive, this only takes 10-20 seconds.

If, after all the above, you are still getting constant crashes, I’d do a Basic Uninstall and Reinstall. If after this, the system still crashes constantly, try a full uninstall/reinstall.

If all the above fails, call 2020 support.

• September 9, 2019 at 8:27 pm #248505
        rdN Design
        Participant

Literally everything you mention I have done.
        Even Calling support. They also couldn’t figure out.

System I7 8th gen, NVIDIA 1050 TI, 16gb RAM, SSD is the boot drive

• September 9, 2019 at 8:39 pm #248507

Lol. Just noticed I addressed you as Ron – apologies – old eyes.

That is extremely odd – that machine has an almost perfect specification to run 2020 and will be excellent for V12 (when released) because of the RAM.

If it is custom built then I suggest having the builder run full diagnostics – I once had a machine that crashed constantly but passed all diagnostics when on my test bench. It wasn’t until I realised that when in-situ, it was overheating that I found the issue which was a temperamental RAM chip – changed the RAM out, improved the air circulation and it was fine.

Make sure the BIOS is up to date and also Win10.

Can you borrow another machine? Honestly, V11.12 really doesn’t crash that often unless you are doing lots of custom textures or Sketchup shapes and these are known issue.

Do the crashes form any particular pattern?

• November 27, 2019 at 10:05 am #260734
      Neil Wilson
      Participant

@ Jasmine – yes they should be able to open your 11.12 files in 11.7.  At least the few test files I tried here worked.  On a side note, 11.7 is more than 2 tears old at this point.  It’s time for your co-workers to update 🙂  12 is a great build so far and I definitely recommend it.

Neil

• November 28, 2019 at 11:20 pm #260865

Hey Neil – “2 tears old”?

I reckon we shed a lot more than 2 tears over that version!

• November 29, 2019 at 10:20 am #260882
      Neil Wilson
      Participant

All the more reason to upgrade the version!  🙂

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Topic Tags