2020 Design Version 9 – End of Windows 7 Support

• August 20, 2019 at 5:35 pm #246246
      Edith
      Participant

(2020 Design Version 9.*)

End of Windows 7 Support

Effective January 14, 2020, Microsoft will cease their support of the Windows 7 operating system. In line with this position, 2020 will also cease its own support of Windows 7 as of this date – meaning that, thereafter, no further development or QA testing will be undertaken for any of its products using this operating system.

After this date, in the event that a particular issue relating to the performance of a 2020 product is specifically attributable to the Windows 7 operating system, 2020 will not seek to provide a resolution for the affected 2020 application and will direct any customers concerned to upgrade to a more contemporary operating system that is supported by both Microsoft and 2020 respectively.

At the time of writing, Microsoft’s guidance is that the upgrade path for a user of the Windows 7 operating system will be to move to Windows 10 so that they will continue to benefit from the latest software and security updates.

2020 and Microsoft

As a Microsoft Gold Partner, 2020 maintains an operating system support policy with the goal of reflecting Microsoft’s own life cycle policies, wherever possible. Consequently, from time to time, this will result in 2020 withdrawing support for operating systems that may still be in use by customers of its software.

On average, this should not be of any major consequence, but it might prove to be necessary for a customer to upgrade from an unsupported operating system in the event of a particular 2020 software issue being identified as specifically attributable to that platform. The 2020 Product Management Team would therefore like to draw both partner’s and customer’s attention to this key date so that you may take the necessary action required.

Please reference the following bulletin from Microsoft for more information:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4057281/windows-7-support-will-end-on-january-14-2020

Customer Support

• October 11, 2019 at 12:49 pm #253004
      Tony Izzo CKD
      Participant

The title of your post reference V9  will 2020 end support of V9 when Microsoft ends support for Windows 7?

Will V9 run on windows 10?

Thanks

• October 20, 2019 at 10:59 pm #254268

Hi Tony,
      I haven’t used it constantly but V9 seems to run perfectly under Windows 10. Even if it hiccuped, there are compatability modes that you could use but I haven’t needed to try them.

• October 31, 2019 at 11:51 am #258390
      Ron Russell
      Participant

I think they ended version 11 support also!!!!!!!@

• October 31, 2019 at 12:55 pm #258404
      Neil Wilson
      Participant

Hey Ron,

We are not ending support for version 11.  What is happening is that if we troubleshoot an issue and it leads back to a problem with the operating system and that OS is Windows 7 we will not be able to address the issue as Windows 7 is no longer supported by Microsoft.   At this point the computer with the issue will have to be upgraded to Windows 10.

Basically it’s Microsoft’s way of getting people off of an out of date operating system.  Windows 7 is over 10 years old at this point (Released July 2009).  That’s like 21 in dog years and even more in computer years. 🙂

@ Tony – Version 9 does work on Windows 10.  It frequently needs some tweaking to work properly but it will run.  Version 9 is also almost 10 years old and the technology of the software and computers has changed dramatically in that time.  Nothing works the same way as it did 10 years ago and at some point in time Windows will make an adjustment to its components that will cause v9 to stop working.  We recently experienced a hiccup due to Microsoft making changes to their VB component.  This time enough people had issues that they reverted the change but this will not always be the case.  At that point we will no longer be able to make the older software run on current computers and the system will need to be upgraded.

I hope that helps

Neil

• October 31, 2019 at 7:44 pm #258407

And of course there is always the option of running a Virtual Machine combination. I run Catalog Tools (2020 V9) on a Windows 7 VM and just the other day, I had to spin up a Windows XP Virtual Machine.

Yes, Windows 7 is an older OS but given Microsoft’s current propensity for shipping out updates that break things, I am beginning to wish I hadn’t moved off it!

• November 13, 2019 at 9:56 am #259283
      Neil Wilson
      Participant

Hi Robert,

The reason is explained higher up in the thread.  Your post was removed because of the unrelated links in your post.

Neil

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.