2020 Wish/Fix List! Did I Miss Anything?

• August 7, 2018 at 9:47 pm #197676
      Caleb Lloyd
      Participant

Hello, I’m Caleb, and this is my first forum post on here. I’ve been using 2020 daily for over 12 years. As I’ve been using version 11, I’ve been making notes as things come up that either need to be addressed or would improve 2020.

PLEASE comment if there’s anything I missed, or if you have any input. Here we go…

1. Can’t copy & paste a note from elevation-to-elevation, or from floor plan to elevation.
      2. When moving text labels on items (cabinets, fillers, etc.), you can’t see the text but only a rectangle which makes it hard to be precise when placing it.
      3. There needs to be a display option (scheme) to display cabinet door-swing indicators on the elevations (commonly found on any CAD plan or blue print). I get requests for this a lot, especially when designing a kitchen that’s not using cabinet hardware, such as one using modern flat slab doors with a push-to-open feature.
      4. When in a split elevation, if you right click in one of the elevation windows & select a display setting scheme, it causes the other elevation windows within that split elevation group to glitch out.
      5. Can’t change the elevation scheme on all open elevations at the same time.
      6. When dragging more than one note on the floor plan at the same time, they turn invisible until the mouse button is released, which makes it difficult to be precise on where you want to place it.
      7. Text (Notes) jumps around when zooming in & out, so if it’s within a rectangle or circle, and often appears misaligned & sloppy.
      8. When in a split elevation, you can’t double click on an item for quick access to the attributes or to edit text in a note, like you can on a single elevation or floor plan.
      9. Rotating text is a mess, in fact, the entire annotation/note feature within 2020 needs an overhaul and to be rethought out.
      10. BIG ONE: I really wish I had the option to specify the rendering photo size (as in previous versions). This is the cause of more issues than I believe people are aware of. People complain about rendering times, and it’s because 2020 is trying to render the photo to the window size. Well, the resolution on my laptops screen is 3000×2000. It creates a beautiful rendering, but the time it takes in completely unrealistic. Most people don’t even want a rendering that big, but don’t know to reduce the window size before starting to render. I just want to be able to type in 1920×1080 or whatever, not a random window size that I drag out the window to be.

Anyway, that’s all for now. Looking forward to an update! I’d love to hear any input that anyone else has. Thanks for reading!

• August 8, 2018 at 3:12 am #197677

I agree that 10) is a big one and would be very handy – I loved V9’s ability to define a render window size.

Add that Draw arc and circle be fixed (ability to type in a radius and have it work) and fix any other issues with these tools.

Ability to add missing items to the Toolbar in Ribbon mode – some items from the old style menus just can’t be added/accessed.

Add cloud login to the old style menus

Add-on handle catalogue would be very handy – I came across one from the Hickory Hardware company but no idea how to make it work. I’d be fine if this was cloud based.

• August 8, 2018 at 10:41 am #197716
      Jessica Almburg
      Participant

When drawing a line or any shape. When you try to click on anything near it you can only grab the line. I always have to move out of the way to click on anything else.

• August 8, 2018 at 10:54 am #197718
      Caleb Lloyd
      Participant

Agreed Mike.

Jessica, Oooh.. that’s a good one. It makes me crazy sometimes.

• August 9, 2018 at 2:59 pm #198732
      Karlie Rouzer
      Participant

Something that really bugs me is when adding notes you have to place it where you want it, then type your note, then move the note to where exactly where you want it. I should just be able to click “add note”, then a box should pop up so I can type my note, then place it where I want it. I know its just one additional click but its super annoying =\

• August 9, 2018 at 3:50 pm #198789
      Caleb Lloyd
      Participant

It seems like all the integrated tile options (Generic, Ramca, etc.) have become basically unusable since version 11 came out. They added this huge awkward grout line, which is unrealistic & hideous. I now have to import every single tile floor texture that I put into designs.

• August 10, 2018 at 11:32 am #198888
      Jessica Almburg
      Participant

The textures is one of my biggest issues. When I call with problems they always say I use too many custom textures but I have no other choice. I wish they would update some of the standard textures with current trends since the program can’t handle importing all the custom textures. Why give us a feature that we fully can’t utilize.

Also when I call they always have to reset all my defaults. I have many custom settings and tabs and it takes me forever to get them back. This drives me nuts.

• August 12, 2018 at 8:41 pm #199400

Hi Jessica,

For the reasons you mention, I wrote a backup and restore script that backs up and restores all the 2020 settings including display schemas. You can download the script here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zb7tjqgbotx5rp8/V112020SettingsSaver.cmd?dl=0

Save it to your desktop. When your 2020 settings are EXACTLY as you want them, double click on the script icon. Choose the backup option and then answer Y to the next 2 questions. The script will create a folder on your desktop called 2020RESCUE with all the settings in it.

Nest time you have to run a registry reset, to get all your settings back, run the script again and choose the Restore option then answer Y to the next 2 questions and all your settings should be back.

The script was written for Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 and 2020 Design V11 so if you are not running these then the script will probably not work.

As the script is free, I give no guarantees as to correct functioning – use at your own risk. That said, the 30+ designers I support use it without issues.

• August 16, 2018 at 3:29 pm #200143
      Jessica Almburg
      Participant

Mike,

Thank you very much. This will save me so much time. I will do this for sure.

• August 23, 2018 at 5:11 pm #201279
      Santiago Morales
      2020 Expert

Hello Caleb,

Thank you for the great feedback.  Sorry for my delay as I was out for a couple of weeks.  Here is our comments regarding your various points:

1. Can’t copy & paste a note from elevation-to-elevation, or from floor plan to elevation.
        • <b>We are aware of this issue. The initial intent of the functionality was to be able to copy to the Floor-plan. We understand it would be practical to be able to copy to the elevation. We have taken note of this request.</b>
      2. When moving text labels on items (cabinets, fillers, etc.), you can’t see the text but only a rectangle which makes it hard to be precise when placing it.
        • Understood, we have taken note of this request. We will consider it for implementation in a future release
      3. There needs to be a display option (scheme) to display cabinet door-swing indicators on the elevations (commonly found on any CAD plan or blue print). I get requests for this a lot, especially when designing a kitchen that’s not using cabinet hardware, such as one using modern flat slab doors with a push-to-open feature.
        • We understand this could be practical. Do you have suggestions and/or recommendations as to how this should be displayed? Perhaps indicating the direction of the door opening could also be an idea? (as shown by a dotted triangle on engineering plans)
      4. When in a split elevation, if you right click in one of the elevation windows & select a display setting scheme, it causes the other elevation windows within that split elevation group to glitch out.
        •  We have fixed this issue in V11.10 which is available on our 2020.net portal.
      5. Can’t change the elevation scheme on all open elevations at the same time.
        • Understood, we have taken note of this request. We will consider it for implementation in a future release
      6. When dragging more than one note on the floor plan at the same time, they turn invisible until the mouse button is released, which makes it difficult to be precise on where you want to place it.
        •  Understood, we took note of this issue and will fix it in an upcoming release.
      7. Text (Notes) jumps around when zooming in & out, so if it’s within a rectangle or circle, and often appears misaligned & sloppy.
        • We were not able to reproduce this issue unfortunately. Can you provide us with more details and snapshots (if possible)?
      8. When in a split elevation, you can’t double click on an item for quick access to the attributes or to edit text in a note, like you can on a single elevation or floor plan.
        • Understood, we took note of this issue and will fix it in an upcoming release.
      9. Rotating text is a mess, in fact, the entire annotation/note feature within 2020 needs an overhaul and to be rethought out.  205109 (Known Old bug set to “Next”)
        • <b>We have done some fixing of text Rotation on the floor-plan. We understand we now need to address the elevation notes. We are interested to know if you would have some suggestion on how the annotation should function.</b>
      10. BIG ONE: I really wish I had the option to specify the rendering photo size (as in previous versions). This is the cause of more issues than I believe people are aware of. People complain about rendering times, and it’s because 2020 is trying to render the photo to the window size. Well, the resolution on my laptops screen is 3000×2000. It creates a beautiful rendering, but the time it takes in completely unrealistic. Most people don’t even want a rendering that big, but don’t know to reduce the window size before starting to render. I just want to be able to type in 1920×1080 or whatever, not a random window size that I drag out the window to be.
        • We understand this could be practical. We will definitely consider it for a future release. Please note that from the High Quality Rendering window, you can perform a save as and determine the desired dimension.

Thanks again,

Santiago

• September 14, 2018 at 3:11 pm #203727
      Ariana Thompson
      Participant

Hi Caleb –

It’s a bit of a pain, but you *can* copy/paste a Note from an Elevation to the Floorplan – just not the other way around.  And when you paste onto the floorplan, it will land kinda far away for some reason – but as long as you’re scrolled out a bit – you’ll see it.

Annoying, but for long, elaborate notes – it’s at least easier than typing it all twice!

Ariana

• September 14, 2018 at 3:58 pm #203742
      Caleb Lloyd
      Participant

Thanks Ariana,

However, the issue though is from Elevation-to-ElevationFloor Plan-to-Elevation. 

• September 14, 2018 at 4:03 pm #203743
      Caleb Lloyd
      Participant

Santiago,

I really appreciate you taking the time to reply to each of my listed concerns.

On #7, where the text “jumps around”.. I’ll try to post a link soon to a private YouTube video showing the issue.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.