Corrupt Drawing File

• July 15, 2019 at 10:27 pm #243425

I have copied this to Residential Support but wondered if anybody else has any suggestions.

One of my Designers has lost a drawing. Version is 11.12. When he opens the drawing, it warns him that he doesn’t have the catalogue (this is on the machine he designed it on!) and then goes to a normal blank drawing screen. Item List shows nothing.

He has tried renaming the .BAK file with the same results.

We have tried inserting the 2020 file into a new drawing – same results.

Previous Versions are not enabled and despite my recommendations, he did not use incremental saves.

I assume the drawing is lost but the point I want to make is that 2020 need to look at coming up with a utility to analyse and try and recover the design from these scenarios. OK, it only averages about 1 lost design per designer per month but that is still way too much especially as a single design can represent hours of work.

• July 16, 2019 at 11:24 am #243465
      Michael Farago
      Pilot Pro

Hi Mike,

Depending on the steps that have been taken up to this point, I don’t know if my trouble shooting may help.  We’ve experienced things similar to this before and I usually try 3 things.

1) Open a new drawing and try to Import the corrupt drawing into the new drawing using the “Insert 2020 drawing”.

2) And this might seem odd, but there’s something about this that has fixed drawings in the past, but e-mail the 2020 file to yourself.  Once you get the e-mail, open it directly from the e-mail.  If that still doesn’t open, then i would save the e-mailed drawing, and use step 1.

3) Rename the .bak file and follow the steps you’ve already done.  If that doesn’t work, use this file to do step 1 and then step 2.

I’ve never gotten as far as step 2 with the .bak file as somewhere along the route we’ve been able to recover at least part of the drawing(Or the file is completely lost).

We’re usually 4-5 corrupt files per month, and I’ve only completely lost one in the past year(while trying the first steps the .BAK file removed itself from the computer and we couldn’t find or recover that.)

I’m hoping that the next version helps, as most of the files that go corrupt on us tend to have a large number of Cloud items and/or a large number of custom textures.

• July 16, 2019 at 8:08 pm #243489

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the suggestions. Tried 1) and 3) before posting the comment above and just tried 2) with no difference. I keep nagging my designers about incremental saves but…

Hopefully V12 will make the issue less of a problem.

• July 17, 2019 at 12:34 pm #243504
      Ariana Thompson
      Participant

Wow!  I’m glad I came upon this thread!

This has never happened to me – now I know what do try if it does!

Ariana

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.