Curved doorways/pass through with molding

• March 22, 2019 at 11:57 am #230822
      Erik Tornquist
      Participant

At the moment, this design has (2) types of passthroughs, one on top of the other, in order to give this look. Unfortunately, her kitchen has large moldings around the passthrough but can’t seem to find this option.

The door wizard was no help considering it offers only 1 particular style: rectangular.

If anyone is aware of a catalog that may offer this option, please let me know. Otherwise, it would be wonderful to have more door/window/passthrough shapes & styles.

And yes, the client doesn’t want to adjust anything, so countertop is cutting into the molding; not the biggest deal. And yes, she’s keeping the wallpaper (that’s 30+ years old….yikes)

• March 22, 2019 at 3:56 pm #230836
      Neil Wilson
      Participant

Hi Erik,

There are beveled ceilings in the DSNER catalogs that you might be able to mess around with to get to look the of an arched molding or you you could use a surface and then texture it.  Both will be very labour intensive.  The surface will require a bunch of extra points to create the curve and I found it tough to get the beveled ceiling to look right.

If anybody else has any ideas I’d love to hear ’em.

Neil

PS

Love that wallpaper 🙂

• March 23, 2019 at 2:29 pm #230861
      Erik Tornquist
      Participant

Thanks.  Yeah that sure seems to be quite a bit of work. I’d have thought by now, with all of the various types of passthroughs around, there would be more options and more people requesting it. Oh well.

Also, another issue I’m facing is multi-level floor plans: raising walls & platforms for example. Have a design I’m also in the process of doing where the kitchen is on a raised level, then comes down to the rest and connects with a dining room & office. I have the levels on separate designs but would be nice to show the client the kitchen together at least.

• March 25, 2019 at 9:45 am #230898
      Neil Wilson
      Participant

Hi Erik,

The only way I know of to make a multi-level design like that would be to layout the entire space, both upper and lower areas, and then add a user shape on the floor to “lift” the higher area.  The you would place the items in the higher area on top of the user shape.  This unfortunately means changing the up/down on all those items, so it’s a little more work.

Neil

• March 25, 2019 at 8:15 pm #230977

Arched openings are already in a number of catalogs (in ours, you can change the height of the arch) but the only easy way I can think of to get a moulding round the arch is to design a shape in Sketchup and import it.

For multi-level floors, I’m afraid that what Neil suggested seems to be the only way – we have quite a few ‘sunken floor’ clients and have to use Neil’s method every time.

Attachments:
    • May 11, 2019 at 1:03 pm #237020
      Ariana Thompson
      Participant

Okay – I took this as a personal challenge! Arched moulding!

I created some – but as far as reproducing an “actual” moulding – couldn’t do it.  But I think this *suggests* moulding enough for a rendering.

Now I just have to figure out a way to make it a “grab and go” thing.

I hung a thin piece of barrel ceiling just above the arched doorway, then a slightly larger bit of barrel ceiling to create a stepped effect.  Then used cubes in matching dims for the sides.

I left a gap between the actual cutout of the arched doorway and the “moulding” – and filled that in with Surface, painted the same colour as the moulding.

I think if I save this in a couple of standard doorway widths – it would be pretty easy!

Ariana

• May 11, 2019 at 1:17 pm #237030
      Ariana Thompson
      Participant

Weird – where did my attachment go?

Well – here it is!

Ariana

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.