Custom molding shapes

• May 17, 2019 at 5:47 pm #238721
      Kenny Hall
      Participant

Hi everyone,

I know that I can create molding runs by drawing a running line in the floor plan, then right-click, “make 3D.” But for that extra touch I would really like to create running lines (or something else) in elevation view in order to make vertically-oriented molding, like outside corner molding on the back of an island/peninsula, or trim around the opening in an open cabinet (e.g. face-frame without the door). Is there any way to do this manually in 2020 or can I create something that I can import into 2020?

• May 17, 2019 at 6:31 pm #238722
      Kristopher Papaleo
      Participant

Hi Kenny,

You are correct that you cannot create 3D shapes in elevation. I’ve tested trying to create a molding around a wall unit but you run into some complications. Creating a top molding and a bottom molding using running lines is easy enough but you cannot create a vertical molding with running line or user shape.

Kris

• May 18, 2019 at 6:58 pm #238725
      Ariana Thompson
      Participant

I use countertop to create corner molding (I just save it in a kit file for Accessories).  I use a combo of the Shapes Cube and Shapes Cylinder to create molding for around a cabinet for example.

Here’s a pic.

Ariana

Attachments:
    • May 21, 2019 at 11:43 am #238910
      Kenny Hall
      Participant

Thanks Ariana, I’ll have to give that a try!

• May 28, 2019 at 10:51 pm #239704
      Jonothan Desimini
      Participant

Just to bring this back up to the top…

Neil or Santiago,

Can we add this to the feature request list for upcoming versions. When you think about it, this is really the basics of designing a kitchen and should be easy to draw, render and communicate to our installers. Not having the ability to draw and then annotate these types of items leaves 2020 seeming incomplete or amateurish in comparison to competitors.

Just my 2 cents.

• June 23, 2019 at 5:13 pm #241499
      Travis Davies
      Participant

100% agree! Designing things for looks is one part of what we have to do. Making sure installers and clients know how it’s supposed to be installed is even more important. Ive given up on the current 2020 setup for most of these details and end up either hand drawing or even MS Word. Unless and installer is really good they need detailed specs. Another reason why more and more are moving to CA for drawings

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.