Design hanging up while saving

• March 25, 2018 at 7:01 pm #178762
      Ben Mallett
      Participant

I’m having issues with the program freezing while trying to save my files.  I get the perpetual spinning wheel about 50% of the time.  Since I have to force quit out I’m often time losing work.  While I save frequently it’s still frustrating to loose even 5-10 mins of work.

Any help appreciated.

• March 25, 2018 at 9:46 pm #178764

Hi Ben,

I support 30+ Designers across a mix of hardware and none have reported this as a constant issue – an occasional hiccup can happen.

A few questions first – are you running a Hard Disk or SSD? Are you storing files locally or on a shared network drive?

If running locally, I’d run a disk check first – if you are running on a Hard Diskm include the  surface scan but if running on SSD, just do a normal disk check.

Have you checked to see if it is a memory issue? When you are ready to save the drawing, pull up your Task Manager and see how much free memory you have. 2020 Design is a 32 bit program and can run out of memory easily especially with very complex designs using cloud/Sketchup items and imported textures. There is a 3rd party utility that can help this but you need to find if lack of memory is the issue first.

In more general terms if the above comes up negative, the next thing to try is to clear your temp files (All Programs/Design/Tools/Maintenance Tools) – tick all 3 boxes on the top right and click the ‘Delete Temporary Files’ option.

If this doesn’t fix it, the next thing to try is a Registry Reset – make a note of all of your preferences (I screen shot all of them and paste them into a Word Document as a reference) and then go to Maintenance Tools as above and click the ‘2020 Design Registry Reset’ option. Re-open Design and re-enter all your preferences and try again.

Last resort would be an uninstall and re-install.

This is what I would do but the 2020 official support guys may be able to suggest other options.

• March 26, 2018 at 9:50 am #178776
      Neil Wilson
      Participant

Hi Ben,

What Mike said! 🙂

Neil

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.