Drawing surfaces around windows

• May 3, 2019 at 8:59 am #236187
      Christine Carey
      Participant

I know there’s a way to do this in a single surface without getting the crazy triangles, but I can’t figure it out. I believe you start at the bottom right of the window or obstacle – then what? It would save a lot of time and look better if I could use a single surface texture for each wall instead of patching it together.

• May 3, 2019 at 1:39 pm #236206
      Jonothan Desimini
      Participant

One way I address this is by changing the texture of the entire wall. Since in the case of a kitchen backsplash where the wall cabinets will be covering areas I don’t want showing the backsplash tile and crown molding and bases cover the rest – I’m left with just the 18″ splash and spaces that I left around, above and below the window.

When the wall continues into another portion of the house, I will break the wall into sections and stop it with the cabinetry and then draw a second section for the remaining portion and have that section match the paint on my other sheet rock walls.

• May 3, 2019 at 5:24 pm #236291
      Kristopher Papaleo
      Participant

Hi Christine,

I have the perfect article for you, please revise this information on our Knowledge Center.    I am certain it will help you.

You might also be interested in setting up a custom online class with one of our trainers.
      If you send a list of questions to our training team at residential.training@2020spaces.com, they will send you a customized agenda and estimate for what this type of class would cost.

I hope this helps!
      Kris

• May 6, 2019 at 12:27 pm #236347
      Christine Carey
      Participant

Thank you for the responses.

I am not having any luck with the knowledge center article – crazy triangles, and it’s taking too much time.

I will change the wall surface for now – that’s a good idea just for the renderings – but I would love it if it was easier to drawer with surface so I could quickly estimate the square feet of tile and overage for a customer’s quote.

I just took a 20-20 class, and that’s what got me trying to figure out how to surface around windows. I’ll try it in another design when I get a break. If anyone wants feedback, it would be super helpful if this work and was simpler.

• May 7, 2019 at 10:26 am #236368
      Ariana Thompson
      Participant

Hi Christine,

I know this sounds weird, but see if it works for you – it works for me:

Keep the Shift key pressed the ENTIRE TIME you are drawing your surface.

Let me know if that helps 😉

Ariana

• May 8, 2019 at 2:16 pm #236643
      Christine Carey
      Participant

Perfect! Thank you, Ariana! That is so helpful and simple.

• May 8, 2019 at 3:22 pm #236674
      Ariana Thompson
      Participant

Awesome!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.