Feature request – Items hidden in PLAN VIEW only

• August 15, 2018 at 10:34 am #199771
      Richard
      Participant

Hi guys.

This may already be addressed in V6, but due to my current ‘Situation’ I’ve not been able to upgrade just yet, but will be doing so very soon – However, now that we are designing utilising so many of the cloud decor items and sketchup imported items, these all make a mess of plans for giving to installers etc, so I wondered if it was possible to have an option included within the individual item settings, that give you the option to mark any item as ‘Hidden in plan view’.

Whilst I know I can add these to a layer, then hide that layer, it still means a lot more work in flicking between plan view and render views hiding and unhiding layers each time, so this would make it far more efficient.

• August 16, 2018 at 11:09 am #199920
      Jim Smalley
      2020 Moderator

Hi Richard,

Upgrading to Version 6 will vastly improve your user experience in this respect, specifically via the application’s revamped Named Views system, which allows you to create, save and instantly recall specific views in each of plan, elevation or perspective.

The solution uses a ‘tab’ mechanism similar to that of MS-Excel making it quick and easy to navigate and manage.

Examples include – ‘layered views’ for different product types (e.g. worktop only views, tiling only views, installation symbol only views); ‘positional views’ to easily define and recall different viewpoints in the same design, or ‘themed views’, allowing you to create representations of the same design at different times of day. Or indeed combinations of all of these.

You may still need to create and assign to a layer, but moving between defined layers has never been easier. Indeed, in perspective views (Presentation and Presentation Plus) all unmodified views are cached, which means they will not re-render when recalled!

Best wishes,

Jim

Attachments:
    • August 16, 2018 at 11:25 am #199959
      Jim Smalley
      2020 Moderator

Footnote: the new named views system fully supports the ability to show items in one named view and hide them in another – this applies across each of the plan, elevation and perspective view types.

• September 6, 2018 at 10:28 am #202370
      Grant Hughes
      Participant

just to add another opinion, I’ve been using the tab view for a while and had the exact same gripe with v5 as you 😀

The tab views make it really easy to switch between different versions of the plan, to the point that now I keep everything turned on in the original plan (the one that gives layer and lighting settings to all shared views. I have a ‘working’ tab which I turn on only what I need at the time and put notes that are only meant for me. Then when it’s time to present I make a client annotation view and for fitting the same.

Can do this on elevations if you need too!

• September 26, 2018 at 11:12 am #205621
      Richard
      Participant

Playing around with the named view tabs in Perspective, and it appears to ignore the fact that I’ve hidden layers when I’ve assigned a tab to a view. – So I have my view of a sink wall, but the island is in the way, so I’ve assigned the Island to a layer, and hidden it. I’ve now gone to my main view, where I want everything to be visible, and un-hidden the island layer, then given that view its own named tab also. However, now when I go back to the other tab views, the island is visible in them all….

• September 27, 2018 at 4:36 am #205692
      Grant Hughes
      Participant

assuming this is v6 now:

on the tabs where you want to hide layers have you right clicked on the name and un-ticked the “layer settings shared with main view”

It’s on by default and if you make a change to any ‘pink’ view (it turns blue once this option is off) it automatically changes in all other pink views.

Same thing can be done for the lighting

• September 28, 2018 at 5:35 am #205844
      Richard
      Participant

Aha! perfect, thanks Grant!

• September 28, 2018 at 5:36 am #205845
      Grant Hughes
      Participant

no problem!

• December 3, 2018 at 11:51 pm #219101
      Margaret Young
      Participant

It looks great!!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.