Files from school wont open at home

• November 13, 2017 at 8:38 pm #160047

Hopefully someone here can help me. I purchased the student version of 2020 design and have had nothing but problems with it. I am unable to open my projects from school on my home computer. I have been told that the version my school uses and the version i have will be able to work together but it is constantly hit or miss. Now it wont even let me open files i used on my home computer days later on the same computer.

• November 15, 2017 at 10:44 am #160440
      Neil Wilson
      Participant

Hi Rachel,

There are a couple of reasons that the files might not open.  First is that the Educational version creates .kbf files.  The regular version creates .kit files.  .kit files won’t open in the educational version and vice versa with .kbf files.

Another possibility is that the version used at the school is different that the version used at home.  2020 is not “backwards compatible”.  So while designs created in older versions will open in newer versions, designs created in newer versions will not open in older versions.  Also if you open a file from and older version in a newer version, work on it and save it, it gets saved “in the new version” and so you will not be able to open it again in the older version.

I hope that helps explain some of the issues.  If there are other extenuating circumstances or you are having other issues please don’t hesitate to contact us at 1-866-697-2020 or residentialsupport@2020spaces.com and we will be happy to take a more in depth look.

Thank you

Neil

• August 29, 2018 at 9:18 am #201732
      Christopher Dunn
      Participant

Recently I had the same problem. Thanks for your reply. It helped me to solve this problem.

• July 2, 2020 at 7:34 am #288016
      Denis Cox
      Participant

good post

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Topic Tags