GPU Acceleration

• March 21, 2019 at 4:18 pm #230753
      Nick Eslinger
      Participant

Is there any meaningful form of GPU acceleration in 2020 Design right now? Most I see my GPU hit is 50% utilization. Also any possibility of Microsoft’s DXR API or NVIDIA’s RTX stuff being integrated?

• March 21, 2019 at 4:55 pm #230754
      Neil Wilson
      Participant

Hi Nick,

Right now 2020 uses the GPU primarily for the “Active” renderings.  The basic perspective, the previews in the attributes, anything you can rotate or view.  The HD renders are handled primarily by the CPU.

Integrating new technologies is something that is always possible but I don’t believe that there are currently any plans for those specific ones.  They are really new.

Neil

• March 22, 2019 at 7:51 pm #230839
      Danny Steiger
      Participant

This has puzzled me for a while; admittedly I’m not a software designer, but I’m a pretty big nerd and follow these things fairly closely.  I would imagine that the process of rendering a room in 2020 is very similar to playing high end video games or any other program that utilizes rendering technologies, lighting, shading, etc.  From everything I understand, GPU’s offer a ton more horse power for these calculations than CPU’s.  Again, I could be mistaken, and could be comparing apples and oranges.  Perhaps it’s also a limitation of the 32 bit architecture?

Looking forward to the upcoming 64 bit version, and hoping that it helps allow 2020 to utilize today’s higher spec’ed PC’s 🙂

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.