GPU Settings

• January 7, 2024 at 10:48 pm #435793
      Melina Murphy
      Participant

Hello,

I’m using a Dell G15 with Nvidia RTX 3060 card. Imo, the renderings don’t look much better than my last integrated gpu. Is there a setting in 2020 where I have to set it to use the Nvidia GPU? I’ve already ensured that my laptop is using the dedicated 3060 vs the AMD ryzen integrated gpu. Any advice is appreciated.

• January 8, 2024 at 9:22 am #435811
      Drew Irving
      Participant

Hello Melina,

I have two bits of info to share-
      I was having a similar problem, not just with renderings but with the display of my work area not being as crisp as I’m used to. I called tech support, and they were able to go into the settings for windows applications and make sure it was pointed to the graphics card instead of the CPU, but we ran into an issue where 2020 simply wouldn’t use the graphics card for rendering. Which is weird, but sounds similar to what you’re running into. Worth a call to see if they can do that for you, though, even if it didn’t work for me.

Second piece- Make sure you’re using the older/Redway-3D rendering engine in 2020. You can find it under file/preferences/rendering. The newer versions default to EZ Render, and I’ve found that I simply can’t get the quality from EZ Render that I was always able to get from Redway.

• January 8, 2024 at 11:56 am #435812
      George
      2020 Admin

Hi Melina,

What you can try as well is from the top menu of the Design screen go to File > Preferences and select Rendering. Verify that there is a checkmark placed for “Use hardware graphics acceleration of possible”.

As suggested, you can try using the older Redway rendering engine as well. Some users find that they have more success with it.

Ensure as well that both your Windows and GPU drivers are up to date.

If you are still having difficulty, I would suggest contacting a support agent at toll free 866-697-2020.

A support agent will have the ability to login to your workstation and better determine where the issue may be coming from.

Thank you

• January 8, 2024 at 3:16 pm #435814
      Melina Murphy
      Participant

Hey guys,

thank you! That Redway really helped to get a better quality. I’m still experiencing not as crisp renderings as what I’m used to. @drewirving: are you saying that 2020 isn’t using your dedicated GPU? That’s disappointing.

I’ll reach out to support as well.

I feel like my renderings are better (see attached), but still some jagged edges. If anyone else is using NVIDIA RTX 3060 – can you share what settings you have from the NVIDIA control panel? I think this may help.

Thanks again everyone

Attachments:
    • January 8, 2024 at 3:19 pm #435825
      Drew Irving
      Participant

Hello Melina,

Yes, that’s correct. Tech support logged in and the technician told me that they frequently run into issues where during routine updates and so forth, 2020 stops using the GPU memory. Normally they can fix it for you, but on my system for whatever reason 2020 simply wouldn’t do it. My system is good enough that it still works more or less fine, but it is frustrating. It also means that if I’m doing high quality renderings, I can’t really use my system for much while they render, which is annoying.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.