How do I COMPLETELY Delete Custom Textures?

• December 11, 2018 at 11:13 am #220156
      Ariana Thompson
      Participant

Hey gang!

We just had a unique custom kitchen that involved the clients changing their minds about the floor, the backsplash, the cabinetry material several times over.  They have a VERY hard time visualizing, so for every new decision, we redid the Textures in the design.

As you know, even after you’ve changed the backsplash or the floor to something new, the previous choice will REMAIN in the “Textures Used in This Design” file.

The result, was even TOTALLY STRIPPED and with all the flooring and cabinets taken to 2020 defaults, the kit file was still 29MB and too big to email to our cabinetry supplier for a custom quote.  I could not truly delete the textures!

I ended up having to copy/paste the ENTIRE kitchen onto a new file, and copy out all the accessories and all the styles and pricing info (a pain since the design uses multiple catalogues.

Once I’d done this, the file was 108kb.

Is there any way of deleting custom textures OUT of a design once you’ve decided against them – get them off there so the don’t bloat the file size?

Many many thanks!

Ariana

• December 11, 2018 at 12:00 pm #220161
      Neil Wilson
      Participant

Hi Ariana,

The short answer is unfortunately no.  Currently the software is set up to remember everything you put into the plan in case you want to go back to it later.  Your copy/paste work around is currently the best way to completely remove any items or textures from the plan.

Neil

• December 11, 2018 at 1:14 pm #220182
      Ariana Thompson
      Participant

AAah.

Thanks Neil.  I understand the idea behind the program holding onto them – perhaps in a future version, we could have the option – once the design is nailed down – of going in a killing extraneous textures.

Sometimes I create a texture, and it’s not until its applied that I realize it’s totally the wrong gloss level or something – and then I can’t get it out of the Textures Used in This Design.  I have to “bring it in” again and give it the correct glossy level – then for the rest of the time I’m working on the kitchen the texture is listed twice, and I have to be careful not to pick to wrong version.

Being able to go in there and actually delete it for the sake of correction would be great.

Many thanks again for the reply!

Ariana

• December 11, 2018 at 2:37 pm #220225
      Nicky Claridge
      Participant

Great topic Ariana! I have this issue on the regular and it’s a right pain in the backside.

The custom texture function is excellent but like you said, the renders are so good now that clients are willing to experiment with bolder more bespoke ideas because we’ve taken the risk factor out of their decision making. Clients can see exactly what it is they’re buying and that can mean changing textures numerous time during the design process. This can cause a file to grow to huge proportions and in some cases cause the “major error… corruption file” message and subsequent crash.

I’d love to see this issue addressed in coming updates too 🙂

• December 11, 2018 at 2:46 pm #220229
      Ariana Thompson
      Participant

Oh! The “Major error” message – gah!  That and the “Not enough memory to render – File didn’t save” are the banes of my design existence!

Though I find if, every hour or so, if I close V11 down totally then open it again, I get fewer of those.

It’s a TOTAL pain. Yes!

Ariana

• December 11, 2018 at 6:18 pm #220272

Just as a side comment but we stopped using email for file transfer (for all but the smallest files) a long time ago – we have several shared folders (with subfolders) in both Dropbox and Google drive and just email the link to the file. This is handy because you can include additional info in the subfolder such as appliance PDFs and so on.

• December 11, 2018 at 6:39 pm #220273
      Ariana Thompson
      Participant

Interesting.

Our cabinetmaker exclusively uses email for all communication – except when they send out new 2020 catalogues – then they use Dropbox – and we have NOTHING but problems getting the darn things open and downloaded! LOL!

Then again, we’re in the Hardware and construction field – so our industry is still heavily dependant on faxing for orders and confirmation – so we’re a little “behind the curve”.

Email is super fancy for us!

😉

• December 11, 2018 at 6:51 pm #220274

Faxing! How about joining us in the 21st century! lol

Never had an issue with Dropbox or Google Drive worth mentioning – not sure why it has been such an issue for you? I get 15GB of free space with Google drive but I prefer the way Dropbox works.

We are switching off all our fax lines over the next few months – all but 2 gone already and 1 of those due to go in Jan. Our attitude is that 1 is enough and if by some weird happening that we need more, we will pay for a fax to email service.

• December 12, 2018 at 3:18 pm #220319
      Ariana Thompson
      Participant

LOL!  I know, Mike!

The number of times I have been on the phone with a tile supplier or a wood trim supplier and asked for them to email a confirmation and they say, “Email?….mmmm I guess we can….you don’t have a fax number?”

-sigh-

Such is the Canadian construction industry.

• December 12, 2018 at 7:25 pm #220328

“Such is the Canadian construction industry.”

And I thought that Australia was behind the times when I migrated here!!!

Still although your construction industry might be lagging, socially you are miles ahead of ummmm neighbouring countries.  😎

• December 19, 2018 at 3:41 pm #221310
      Chris Setlock
      Participant

I’ve had issues with file bloat, too.  One thing that has helped me curb that, when textures is causing the bloat, is to save a base design (k1) then go back to it each time I need to change textures.

So, I design the kitchen such that the layout is correct, create the surface fields, then save it as smith-k1.  Then I put my custom textures into the surface fields, and save it as smith-k2.  I close that, and go back to k1 to make any  changes that will become k3, k4, etc.

• December 19, 2018 at 5:17 pm #221329
      Ariana Thompson
      Participant

Thanks for reminding me of that, Chris!

Back in the V9 days, we used to design a kitchen and call it Smith_Kitchen_Dr#1_Work, then we would sex it up and save it as Smith_Kitchen_Dr#1_PRETTY.

We need to start that again!

Cheers,

Ariana

• December 20, 2018 at 6:28 pm #221517

Ariana & Chris, as a long time IT person, I prefer people to learn the type of caution that you are using in terms of file names and saves. It’s exactly what I do.

• December 21, 2018 at 10:08 am #221594
      Ariana Thompson
      Participant

Caution is, indeed, good in the world of computers, Mike!

Considering the design I’m currently working on is 59.7MB, I have made TWO different backup versions!

Making stuff like live-edge wood countertops is really memory heavy.

LOL

Ariana

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.