How to draw custom shapes ( like x design paneling, custom box hood,etc.)

• December 13, 2021 at 7:09 am #353059
      Kestutis Brukas
      Participant

How to draw custom shapes  like x design paneling on the island, custom box hood,etc.

• December 14, 2021 at 11:58 am #353171
      Kristopher Papaleo
      Participant

Hi Kestutis,

You can create custom shapes on the floor plan by going to Annotations and using the shapes in the ‘Draw’ section – See image. You can use any shape available there and create them into 3D Shapes.

For example, you can draw a square on your floor plan > right click on it > click on Make 3D > then make it into a 3D Shape. Once you do this, you can then right click on it and go to its attributes and play with the items variables such as ‘Height’ and ‘3D Texture’. You can alter the dimensions of the 3D shape by right clicking on the shape and selecting ‘edit shape’.

Using this method, you can easily create a custom panel. However trying to create a custom hood with the same method can prove to be challenging.

Regards,

Kris

• January 14, 2022 at 5:45 pm #355448
      Michael Farago
      Pilot Pro

For my company I have a license of 3D modelling software.  I’ve drawn hundreds of drawings over the years.  Some complex designs that could be achieved drawing in 2020 like Kris has identified that could take a user hours to assemble all the parts and pieces I can Model in a fraction of the time.  Not to mention all the designs that I can do that aren’t possible to reproduce in 2020 with their toolset.

My few complaints with this is it can be difficult to texture things precisely…I’ve found work arounds to try and get things to match exactly to an existing cabinet texture, but it’s not always flawless.  You can’t adjust sizes, so if we need to adjust a custom hood shroud by 3″, the designer needs to bring it back to me to adjust then I send it back to them to import/texture.  Most of the time not too bad, but it’s an annoyance.  And finally, the drawing file sizes become a concern if there’s multiple items in a drawing.  We’ve had a few times that the files have become so large that they get corrupt, so when we are adding a bunch of objects we monitor the file size more than normal.

But here’s some examples of objects that we’ve added.  Not rendered with finished textures, these are just the generics that 2020 assigns based on how I drew them.

• May 26, 2023 at 10:30 am #423945
        virginia conlon
        Participant

When I go to change attributes in 3-d shape…it comes up in a different unit of measurement…cannot find out how to get this to be Imperial

• May 26, 2023 at 11:10 am #423956
      Kristopher Papaleo
      Participant

Hi Virginia,

The 3D shape shows in Metric because of the catalog it was pulled from. If you notice, the catalog it came from is ROOM_M, which is the Metric version. Instead, make sure to use the ROOM catalog, which is the imperial version. You should be able to go to your Items tab and use ‘Switch Items’ to switch from ROOM_M to ROOM.

Regards,

Kris

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Topic Tags