Importing 3D floorplan from Sketchup or other?

• February 22, 2017 at 10:38 pm #120618
      MICHAEL
      Participant

I am new to 2020 running the trial version.  I have customer 3D room models and would like the ability to import them directly into 2020 for cabinet design.   I seem to be able to import them in Sketchup 2013 format but I am unable to figure out how to go from the import list to a floorplan.   Is this possible?  Are the steps documented somewhere?

• February 23, 2017 at 5:20 pm #120656
      Neil Wilson
      Participant

Hi Michael,

In 2020 go to the file menu, select import, select from local storage, on the screen that opens, below the list of files change the file of type drop down to Sketchup and then select your file and select open. Click on the floorplan to place the item.

Neil

• February 23, 2017 at 8:40 pm #120660

Hi Neil,

Unless things have changed drastically, the Sketchup file will not import as a floorplan where walls, windows and doors matchup to their 2020 catalogue equivalents complete with Placement Zones. I have asked many times at senior levels if we can be quoted on a DXF or XML import that would allow us to select specific windows, doors, power outlets, switches etc. We are willing to pay for this! We have a point cloud laser scanning system that generates extremely accurate room measurements and is far superior to MagicPlan but we need more control over the import.

Michael
      As far as I know, you will have to trace walls etc over the imported sketchup plan. Quite frankly it will be easier to draw from scratch.

• February 24, 2017 at 9:42 am #120678
      Neil Wilson
      Participant

Hey Mike,

You are correct in that a lot of the detail is lost but that is because of the fact that 2020 is catalog based. When you import from another software there is no frame of reference for 2020 so whatever gets imported is just a shape without many attributes.

Neil

• February 24, 2017 at 12:36 pm #120749
      MICHAEL
      Participant

Thanks Mike and Neil.  It is unfortunate that I cannot load the blank room to insert catalog items.  I had very little luck, even with help of support on my machine, of loading even a simple floor dimension to trace.  Even without windows, doors, outlets, this could have saved time.

• February 28, 2017 at 8:45 am #120779
      Chris Setlock
      Participant

Hi Michael,

It wont help your current dilemma, but going forward, you might find it beneficial to try MagicPlan.  MagicPlan is a free app that allows you to quickly measure a room using your phone or tablet, place door and windows, etc, which can then be imported directly into 2020.  I use it extensively, and it saves me hours on each job.

• February 28, 2017 at 7:04 pm #120809

Hi Chris,

Do you find MagicPlan accurate enough? We had trouble with the accuracy and also with the type of Windows and Doors it imported.

• February 28, 2017 at 9:04 pm #120810
      Chris Setlock
      Participant

Not by itself, no.  I find that MagicPlan is frequently off by 2 or 3 inches.  Still, it lays out the overall shape of the room, including doors, in about 30 seconds.  I purchased a Leica Disto Bluetooth laser from Amazon for less than $150.  It pairs with my iPad, and I can correct critical measurements in just a few minutes.  https://www.amazon.com/Leica-E7100i-Distance-Measure-Bluetooth/dp/B00K5UDI5O/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1488333811&sr=8-4&keywords=leica+disto

Agreed, the incorrect window and door issue is annoying.  It takes me about 10 minutes to correct them after import.  I’ve brought the issue to the attention of both 202o and MagicPlan, but since I’m possibly the only person who uses both, neither side is especially motivated to fix it.

I really don’t understand why I’m the only one, though.  I used to spend about 1 1/2 hours measuring and drawing on graph paper, then another hour building it all in 2020.  For $150, I’ve cut that down to about 25 minutes.  And, clients get all “ohh-ahhh” when they see me using high-tech tools.

At my last job, I had access to an LT55 (the laser that countertop templaters use).  I discovered that I could measure a room in about 5-10 minutes using that.  One of those cost about $12k…  This way is faster still, and a fraction of the cost.

• February 28, 2017 at 9:14 pm #120811
      Chris Setlock
      Participant

Another nice thing about the Leica:  I can measure around a messy kitchen, single-handedly.  No more “Ma’am, would you mind holding the tape measure for me”, or “Ma’am, do you mind if I move your toaster, coffee maker, bread machine, stand mixer and food processor? I promise I’ll put them all back.”

• February 28, 2017 at 10:12 pm #120812

I no longer do designs for sales so I passed my Bosch Bluetooth lasertape on to another designer who does what you do. We also have a Leica 3D which requires you to manually scan and we have used eTemplates elaser to get it into 2020 but again the windows, doors etc do not map to what we want. We also spent some time working with another company using a Leica Scanstation Pro which is a fully automatic measuring system but again, the import issue with Windows and Doors.

In the end, we found it was quicker to draw manually in 2020 off lasertape measurements. Some of the designers still get things wrong though.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.