Importing an AutoCAD floor plan

• August 1, 2017 at 6:16 pm #140910
      debbiem
      Participant

I do a lot of residential remodeling in my business and I have reached a point where I’d like to contract out the original floor plan to a CAD tech who is using AutoCAD then import that floor plan into 2020 where I can manipulate walls, doors and windows, add cabinetry, plumbing, etc. Today I was told by a 2020 tech that this can be problematic. Is anyone in the 2020 Community successfully doing this?

• August 1, 2017 at 8:37 pm #140911

I have tried many times without success. I have also tried many times to get 2020 to price a customised (XML) room import for us as we have an automatic room scanning system that is currently no good to us because of the poor import facilities.

In the attached photo, I have imported a DXF file and selected ONLY the 2D walls from the import. You can then ‘trace’ over the top with the 2020 Walls etc. It works but is prone to inaccuracy and is laborious.

I’d suggest trying Envisioneer as a better solution for this type of work – you can download a trial copy and 2020 apparently has an Envisioneer import facility should you still wish to use 2020 for this (although I suspect it has the same limitations as we are hitting).

Attachments:
    • August 1, 2017 at 8:51 pm #140920
      debbiem
      Participant

Ugh! NOT what I wanted to hear. But thank you for the info!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.