Is it too much to ask?

• June 19, 2018 at 7:44 pm #192231
      JC Cousins
      Participant

Hi, I like to think of myself as a pretty resourceful, get it done, kind of guy. I am not having the patience to deal with all of this crashing. I have personally used 2020 for 18 years and have never been so frustrated.

Is it too much to ask for something that will not crash so much? I can’t even begin to figure out where it is coming from. Who has the time for that? I see many people have the same issue. I just want to get on the computer and design as I USED to be able to. Is that too much to ask? C’mon 2020!

• June 20, 2018 at 11:37 am #192385
      candace rudd
      Participant

We have been having an awful time since the latest set of Windows updates with 2020 just disappearing with no warning in the middle of a design.  Not even getting the “design has stopped working” error – just GONE.  Very frustrating and leads to lots of extra work to redo lost changes.

• June 20, 2018 at 7:20 pm #192427

I support about 30 designers on various versions but mainly 11.8. Crashes are NOT frequent for them but do occasionally happen and they do get frustrated.

The latest Windows 10 upgrade is known to cause major problems (even more than previous updates) – try reverting it back to an earlier version but know that Microsoft is coming in for a lot of criticism as the latest update is actually breaking systems to the point where Windows and Apps need to be reinstalled.

To get the best from your computer try and keep it as clean as possible – remove any unnecessary software and try and pick reliable drivers. I only use Microsoft’s own anti-virus coupled with a once a week scan by Malwarebytes anti-malware. Other than that I have Microsoft Office, 2020 Design and a few other programs and that is it.

I also find NVidia drivers to be more reliable than any others such as AMD.

With Design, regularly clean out your temp files, try and avoid adding custom textures and Sketchup shapes as they seem to increase issues. If you aren’t on Windows 10, run the graphics card test and use the recommended drivers. If your computer is equipped with an SSD then a reboot should take about 10 seconds (if it takes longer, you have too much ‘bloatware’ on your system) – I reboot around twice a day as it keeps everything on the computer clean and efficient.

And most importantly of all – get into the habit of doing incremental saves!

If you don’t know how to do the above then learn or find a GENUINE IT person to help – you wouldn’t run a car without checking or having someone else check the oil, water, tyre pressures etc – the same is true of a computer (which is FAR more complex).

• June 21, 2018 at 7:39 am #192431
      JC Cousins
      Participant

Candace, Yes! Pretty much the same. I hope it doesn’t keep up. I am using 2 different computers (one laptop for onsite adjustments) and it does it on both. It can be frustrating. Luckily I save regularly…

• June 21, 2018 at 7:44 am #192432
      JC Cousins
      Participant

Mike, Thanks for the tips. Both of my computers are relatively new. My desktop runs the NVIDIA GeForvce GTX 1060 3GB.

It bugs me that most of what I have to do involves learning to be an it guy. I am sure 2020 works hard to keep up. I don’t want to be an IT guy. I want to design kitchens, so I hope so.

The fact that a lot of the fixes involve not importing things that are part of what 2020 is good for, like wall coverings to create great presentations, is kind of defeating the purpose of having the program to begin with. People expect these types of service today. Thanks HGTV!!

• June 24, 2018 at 7:29 pm #192595

Hi JC,
      I’m not saying to completely avoid textures and Sketchup shapes, just be aware that there are limitations with using them. That said, it would be nice for them to work reliably as it greatly increases our design capability.

A LOT of the current issues may be to do with the latest Windows 10 updates – they are causing an awful lot of issues to the IT community.

Also, I agree that you shouldn’t need to become an IT person but just like driving a car, there are several things to do (check oil, water, tyre pressures etc) to keep the vehicle in top condition – the same is true of a PC and it is surprising how often a reboot will fix issues.

• June 26, 2018 at 9:52 am #192612
      Neil Wilson
      Participant

Hi JC,

I would just like to support everything Mike said 🙂  Thanks Mike.  And I would also like to let you know that most of the limitations currently imposed on the software by Windows are because Design is still a 32 bit program.  We are working on a 64 bit version of the software that should be ready for release around the end of this year.  This update should make the program much more able to take full advantage of all its features.

I am very much looking forward to the 64 bit version.

Neil

• June 26, 2018 at 8:00 pm #192671

You know me Neil – I don’t b*****it – there are many things that 2020 Technologies does that frustrate me but I still think the package is ‘best in class’ and yes, we do get crashes but few and far between now – particularly so since I have all the designers rebooting first thing in the morning and at lunchtime (or when they have had an issue).

REALLY looking forward to the 64bit version though – this will enable us to do so much more!

• July 2, 2018 at 12:13 pm #193142
      Tyler Kehl
      Participant

One thing I’ve discovered in my own experience with 2020, is that I had too many catalogs installed. I had maybe 60-75, which was bogging  down the whole system.

I consolidated these catalogs down to about 15. Ever since then the program starts much quicker (since it’s not indexing all the catalogs every time it opens) and the program is responding faster in general.

• July 2, 2018 at 6:49 pm #193144
      Mike Cook
      Participant

As a long time user, started with V6,  I have found that a defrag and registry cleaner once a week with a daily re-boot works to reduce  crashes.  I still use windows 7 on my main computer with the free TeamViewer for my window 10 laptop, apple tablet and iphone. With the free TeamViewer I can run 2020 on all devices while maintaining all the information in one place, my desktop. There is one constant with 2020 – it will crash. It’s kind of being upset with the weather, you can complain but it won’t change, 2020 has millions of code lines the correction process takes time. With this understanding backup, backup, and backup. I have tried all the design software, 2020 is still the best overall, not to mention what customer expect.

• July 2, 2018 at 7:31 pm #193145

Good points from Tyler and Mike Cook. I use ccleaner for the registry clean (make sure to untick the ‘Install Avast Antivirus option).

• July 5, 2018 at 3:46 pm #193604
      MARGARET VOLNEY
      Participant

QUESTION: Can you import DWG or DFX files into 2020?

• July 5, 2018 at 8:40 pm #193666

Sure is – go to File, Import and pick the option you want. There are obviously limitations as to how successful the import is and I’ve sometimes found it better to import the DXF/DWG into Sketchup, ‘fix’ anything that needs fixing, save it as a Sketchup file and import that.

Attachments:
    • July 11, 2018 at 5:57 pm #194277
      Ryan Mahoney
      Participant

Do we know what build of Win 10 is the most stable for 2020?

• July 11, 2018 at 7:36 pm #194278

Windows 10 stable? (cue manic laughter ending in tears)

Windows 10 is not and likely never will be stable – it is designed as an evolving operating system that will constantly update itself and change. As an example of the evolution of Windows 10, build 1803 has now removed the ‘homegroup’ feature (which was pretty useless anyway). This evolution setup is causing massive headaches for the IT community and some are being forced to change to the LTSB version which only updates every 2-3 years.

Part of the issue is that while Windows 10 has specific ‘builds’ there are lots of interim updates which can also affect the smooth running of your system(s). Build info is here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/itpro/windows-10/release-information

To answer your specific question:

1803 (latest) seems to be OK as a fresh install but has ‘killed’ many upgraded machines meaning that they had to have 1803 installed as a complete new install to resurrect them.

The prior version (1709) wasn’t too bad.

IF you can spare the time and hassle, I’d think about a fresh install of 1803 coupled with bloat removal (there are some free Powershell scripts out there to do this) and then do as much as possible to switch off the updates (actually only defers them) – google is your friend here.

If you can’t do this, use 1709 again coupled with switching off updates and bloat removal.

Also, pick the most stable graphics driver you can find for your system. AMD drivers are a pain so I now only recommend NVidia graphics. Also follow the rest of the advice quoted about keeping your machine as clean as possible and stay well away from certain antivirus packages.

My least troublesome machines are i7, 8/16GB, SSD based systems with NVidia graphics and run either Windows 7, 8.1 or Win10 1709 with Microsoft antivirus, Microsoft Office, Malwarebytes AntiMalware (free version) and 2020 Design V11.8 or V11.10 and pretty much everything else removed. Printer drivers can also be troublesome especially if they are bloated so I try and run Windows native drivers wherever possible or remove the bloat from the manufacturers drivers.

Hope this helps.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.