Issues with New Windows 11 PC & 2020 Design

• May 9, 2022 at 1:26 pm #366437
      Willesa
      Participant

I have already spoken to support regarding this issue, they gave me a “work around” but I feel like it’s kind of crazy and it really needs to be fixed because my designers are at their wits end.

Here’s the deal, we purchased a new PC in our showroom for presentations only. I downloaded the latest version 13.3 from Chrome, ran and installed 2020. When we create a drawing on our PCs (at our desks using version 13.3) and transfer them to a USB drive to open on the new presentation PC, an error message pops up and says our file is corrupt (but the file is in fact not corrupt because it will open up on all of our other 8 PCs with no problems at all).

The “work around” I was given is to go back to our PC in which we created the drawing, open the file, copy the drawing into a new drawing file, save it on the USB drive with a new name, then open it up on the new PC.

This work around does work, but the deal is, we have to do this with every single drawing, which wouldn’t be so terrible, except the fact that we have to go back through the entire drawing and change the textures from catalogs we used. It causes us to spend even more time getting the drawing ready for presenting. We really need a permanent fix so we don’t have to keep doing this run around.

Next issue with the same new PC. If someone closes 2020 design WITHOUT manually signing out (even if “automatic logout when application is close” is checked) we get an error. To work around this issue, we have to type in <span style=”color: #222222; font-family: ‘arial narrow’, sans-serif; font-size: large;”>%localappdata% in our computer search bar, open up the folder, delete the 2020 folders and then we can log in…. Again, this is one more thing that takes up time in our day and because NO ONE can remember to manually log out, I’m the one stuck fixing this every single time another designer forgets to manually log out. I’m getting phone calls on my days off to fix this, it’s only been a few days but I’m already sick of it. </span>

There’s no reason we shouldn’t be able to just open 2020 and log in normally, no reason that the automatic log out feature shouldn’t work and there’s no reason we should be forced to copy files into new drawings and do all this stuff just to open a drawing.

Again, this was a new PC, 2020 had never been installed until I installed 13.3. Before I called, I had tried uninstalling the program, I reinstalled it, when it didn’t work, I uninstalled it again, I installed version 13.0, when that didn’t work I installed 13.3 back on it. Another coworker uninstalled 2020 and installed version 12.4, again we had the same problem, he then installed 13.3 back on it.

Is our problem that we are using Chrome to download it? Could it be an issue with Windows 11? All of our other PCs are/were windows 10 (we upgraded one PC to Windows 11 – but it runs any 2020 drawing with no problem)…. There doesn’t seem to be a firewall blocking any part of the install. I’m at a complete loss, we just could really use a permanent fix.

• May 9, 2022 at 1:48 pm #366477
      TravisH
      Participant

It would be interesting to see the result if it was stored on the network (server or NAS). It seems a bit silly that you would have a bunch of flash drives laying around.

Either way if the file opens on all other computers but not this new one, I would have to suspect its something with that computer. Probably some silly security setting

2020 not doing auto log out is probably a 2020 thing. This is not the first I have heard of this issue.

• May 9, 2022 at 1:56 pm #366479
        Willesa
        Participant

This computer is not connected to our network. We can only use WiFi, hence the reason we transfer our drawings via USB. The PC is in our addition part of the showroom and we cannot get network access back there.

• May 9, 2022 at 2:08 pm #366480
      TravisH
      Participant

Ah, well it may be worth a test and moving the computer to the network and seeing if it works then. Just a thought.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.