legend re-numbering, again!!!!

• February 4, 2019 at 1:29 pm #225867
      Chris Setlock
      Participant

Please help me understand what triggers 2020 to renumber the items in a design?

Lest week, I was doing some design work for another designer, and 2020 user.  I put a design together, and I added a note listing what items had various add-ons and featured.  This note was organized by legend number.  I then sent her the .kit file.

When she opened the file, all the items in the plan were renumbered, and my note was not just worthless, it caused significant confusion, since it indicated tray dividers in cabinets that didn’t have them, roll outs in others, etc.

I’d like to have control over the numbering scheme, but failing that, at least some way of knowing when the program will switch up all the numbers.

-Chris

• February 4, 2019 at 2:25 pm #225872
      Ken Watkins
      Participant

The difference may be in whether you have checked “Automatic legend” or “Selected objects” on the Legend tab in the Display Settings.  Pretty sure those properties travel with the .kit file

• February 4, 2019 at 2:49 pm #225873
      Chris Setlock
      Participant

Thanks, Ken.

What’s really driving me crazy is the way 2020 renumbers things when changes are made.  If I had some understanding of what the rules are, what triggers a renumbering, and how it determines what to number an item, perhaps I could at least anticipate when it will be a problem.

This time, I made a nice, handy-dandy note saying

ADD-ONS:

4:  TALL PANTRY WITH ROLL-OUTS
      13:  ROLL OUT TRAYS UNDER COOKTOP
      17:  TRAY DIVIDER
      19:  WASTEBASKET CABINET
      21:  TIERED CUTLERY DIVIDER
      25:  DEEP DRAWERS

but when she opened the file on her end, cabinet 4 had become 5, #13 was #14, #17 was now #21, etc.

This causes no end of confusion.

• February 4, 2019 at 8:21 pm #225934
      Ken Watkins
      Participant

SO are you set up for automatic or select?  If you are on automatic, any adjustment made – could be adding a filler or even an accessory – can change the numbering. The only way I know to control the numbering is to use the SELECT setting.

• February 4, 2019 at 10:46 pm #225938
      Chris Setlock
      Participant

Hi Ken,

I’m currently set up for automatic.  However, I have experimented with Select setting.  That does allow me to control what is and isnt in the legend, but it has no effect on the numbering.  If I alter, add, or delete a cabinet, the numbering changes in what seems to be an arbitrary fashion.  Hence, my question.  If I could predict (or control) the numbering rules, then I could be better prepared for the results of my changes.

Just now, I changed my display settings to “Select”, drug an existing kitchen into a new file, so the revised settings would apply.

This kitchen contains 20 cabinets, number 1-36 (skips for non selected items).

I selected a cabinet (number 8) and deleted it.  All cabinets after #8 decreased in number by 2.  Placing the same cabinet, in the same place, restored all cabinets to their original number.  _However_ replacing it with a different cabinet of the same dimensions, increased the subsequent cabinets only by 1.

New experiment:  adding a new cabinet, on the east wall of the kitchen numbers itself #20, and all subsequent cabinets are increased in count by 1.  Adding the same cabinet to the west wall, it numbers itself #11, all subsequent cabinets increase by 1.

Adding roll out trays to cabinet #10 increased all subsequent cabinets by 1.

So, to wrap this up, there are clearly rules in play, but they are likely too complex for us designers to learn.  It’s not first added to last added, not right or left to right, not clockwise or counter, not ascending or descending spiral, etc.  It seems to be counting add-ons, and it seems to assign numbers with some regard to room placement.

I really just wish that we could have control over them.  That would make our lives much easier.

• February 5, 2019 at 5:22 pm #226022
      Neil Wilson
      Participant

Hey Chris,

The legend is populated by wall in the base, wall, tall order.  So base cabinets on the first wall will be 1,2,3,4,5 and then the wall cabinets on that wall will be 6,7,8,9,10 and then the first base cabinet on the next wall will 11 etc…

The numbers of the legend will always change if an item is added or removed so that there are no gaps in the numbering.  So if something is added or removed the legend will be resequenced to cover the change.

Hope that helps.

Neil

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.