September 6, 2016 at 2:19 pm #99668Eric DeVito2020 Expert
Loading 2020 CAP in AutoCAD
Applies to: 2020 CAP Version 2016 (12.x)
This document will detail the steps to manually integrate 2020 CAP to load properly within AutoCAD. Normally you would type CAP on the command line within AutoCAD to load. If it does not load or reports “unknown command” then the following information may be used to help set it up for the first time.
There are several reasons why CAP my not initially load within AutoCAD. Some of the more common things we see in the support department are as follows:
- The CAP software simply wasn’t selected to be installed during the initial installation. This results in only the 2020 Worksheet program being installed.
- An unsupported version of AutoCAD is installed or perhaps not installed at all. The 2016 version of 2020 CAP supports AutoCAD versions 2013 – 2017.
- The software was installed by a different user other than who will actually be using the program. The settings to load CAP in AutoCAD are user profile specific.
- A new user was added to the computer. Again being a profile specific setting, each new user must integrate CAP to load for the first time.
The first step is to verify the Support File Search Path and Trusted Location path in AutoCAD options properly has the installation folder for 2020 CAP listed. The default installation directory for 2020 CAP on a 64-Bit Windows PC will be C:\Program Files (x86)\2020\CAP Studio. If you happen to still be using a 32-Bit operating system, then the installation directory will be C:\Program Files\2020\CAP Studio. The current supported versions of Windows for CAP are Windows 7, 8, and 10.
- In AutoCAD type OPTIONS on the command line and press enter.
- Click the “Files” tab and expand “Support File Search Path”.
- Verify that the installation folder for CAP is listed under “Support File Search Path”.
- Expand the “Trusted Locations” folder.
- Verify that the installation folder for CAP is listed under “Trusted Location”.
- If either location is missing the path then use the ADD and BROWSE buttons on the right to navigate and select the path and then press OK.
- Click Apply and then close the Option Window.
After the paths have been verified and added if missing, try typing CAP on the command line and press enter. Many times the problem was simply the missing path and CAP will now load properly. If CAP still does not load, then it will be necessary to APPLOAD the program to finish setting it up.
- Type APPLOAD at the command line and press enter
- Navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\2020\CAP Studio.
Select the correct .ARX for your version of AutoCAD and click Load. If your file extensions are turned off the graphic icon on each of these files should indicate if it is an ARX file.
- If you are using 64-Bit AutoCAD Version 2013-2014: Select CAPDesigner19x64.arx
- If you are using 64-Bit AutoCAD Version 2015-2016: Select CAPDesigner20x64.arx
- If you are using 64-Bit AutoCAD Version 2017: Select CAPDesigner21x64.arx
- If you are using 32-Bit AutoCAD Version 2013-2014: Select CAPDesigner19.arx
- If you are using 32-Bit AutoCAD Version 2015-2016: Select CAPDesigner20.arx
- If you are using 32-Bit AutoCAD Version 2017: Select CAPDesigner21.arx
After a few moments you should see CAP Designer begin to load. At this time you can close out of the Load/Unload Applications dialog. At this point CAP should be loaded. Once it is loaded, it will stay integrated so that the next time you open AutoCAD, just typing “CAP” on the command line will load the application. If for any reason you are missing the .ARX files mentioned above then likely the CAP Software was not installed fully.
Showing the Menubar
The more recent versions of AutoCAD have the traditional pull down menus hidden by default. If you do not see the CAP Designer menu at the top of your AutoCAD screen, type MENUBAR on the command line and press enter. For the new value type 1 and then press enter. The top row of menus should then be displayed.
If CAP Still is not loaded properly at this point you may contact our Technical Support team at 800-638-6002
October 15, 2018 at 7:38 am #208552John CarterParticipant
Troubleshooting problems in installing the 2020 CAp in Autocad 2016 version. My windows in 10 64-bit version and I was using the Lenovo Thinkpad X series laptop and facing the following problem in troubleshooting with 2020 CAP. Then I follow the Lenovo Support to fix my error with AutoCAD application. it helps me. If your Lenovo user and trouble shooting problems with AutoCAD go to the Lenovo Support for the solution.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.