Massive Memory Usage?

• October 14, 2015 at 12:16 pm #53876
      Jordyn P
      Pilot Pro

I’m having an issue with V11 using up a lot of memory. I’ve tried uninstalling and reinstalling, to no avail. At times it can get up to using 2.5gb of memory before it stalls out and freezes on me. This mostly happens when I am using the rendering tool. Does anyone have advice for stopping this? Thanks!

My computer specs are:

Dell Precision T1700 running Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

intel core i7-4770 3.4GHz

16gb ram

using Geforce GTX 960 4gb graphics card

• October 14, 2015 at 2:53 pm #53904
      Participant

Hi Jordyn,

Sorry to hear that you are having some issues using the version.
      This is being look right now by our R&D team we look forward to resolve this problem in a timely manner.

Could you please send us your contact information support@2020spaces.com

Roberto

• October 15, 2015 at 8:39 am #54040
      Bill
      Pilot Pro

Hi Jordyn,

Do you have a lot of decorations, glass, or items imported from sketch up in your design?  When rendering high quality, glass is usually a big “slow down”.   Certain items from sketch up may also slow you down.

• October 15, 2015 at 12:53 pm #54320
      Jordyn P
      Pilot Pro

Bill,

I never import anything from Sketchup to my designs. It makes my screen go black so I stopped trying. I would say it’s about 50/50  with decorations in my design, but it eats at the memory no matter what. The only glass I use are from the windows.

• October 31, 2015 at 9:29 am #56577
        Anonymous
        Inactive

Jordyn,
        It sounds like the video card memory if you are having issues with black screen. It’s best to use a quality video card with a min. 4 GB memory at 256 bit. I use an EVGA GTX 980 with 4GB memory right on the graphics card and have not had that issue. If your computer is stalling during rendering, its normally a graphics card issue. Hopefully you do have a video card versus on-chip graphics.
        Another very good graphics card is the EVGA GTX 970SC with 4 GB of 256 bit memory right on the card. Good luck!

• October 31, 2015 at 9:37 am #56580
      Jordyn P
      Pilot Pro

Chuck, I have a GTX 960 4gb graphics card.

• October 31, 2015 at 11:13 am #56585
        Anonymous
        Inactive

Jordyn, the GTX 960 4GB card is at 128-Bit memory versus 256-Bit. That can make a difference as 256-Bit runs faster to render faster. But, you could have other issues as if I’m correct the power supply on the Dell T1700 has a low rated power supply. 550W I think without searching. It could also be your memory modules on the motherboard, have you tested the memory for errors? Sometimes Dell memory can go bad depending on which brand they used in your system. On the Dell Workstations, the memory should be ECC and possibly the Hynix brand. What is the memory speed included with the Dell PWS?

• October 31, 2015 at 11:43 am #56586
          Anonymous
          Inactive

Jordyn, I just looked up the power supply in the Dell Precision 1700, it’s a 225 Watt power supply. That could be your issue, if the power supply cannot push your video card and processor under full load, then you will receive error messages.
          The Dell Precision machines are very good, but they do skimp on their power supplies. Minimum power supply should be 500W to 700W for the components that you are pushing. Just my opinion though, 2020 tech may tell you the same thing.

• October 31, 2015 at 11:50 am #56589
          Anonymous
          Inactive

Jordyn, I also checked the specs on your graphics card, the recommended power supply is min. 400 watts, that’s minimum. Hope that some of this helps. You also stated that you removed and reinstalled 2020 several times, did you clean out the registry after removing 2020, before reloading? You should always remove 2020, restart the machine, clean out the registry with CCLEANER, shut down-restart the machine and then reload. This will give you a clean install—

• November 5, 2015 at 10:20 am #56977
      Robert
      Participant

Having the same issue.  Dell T3600 with Quadro 600 & 32mgb.  Looking at Quadro K4200 – is that overkill or will it make a big difference?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.