Problems with 360 Panorama

• February 7, 2017 at 2:11 pm #119313
      Anna K
      Participant

Hi Guys!

Do you maybe have problems with 360 Panorama? I’m trying to do rendering and I have communicate it’s not enough free memory. I called to support and they told me I cannot use decorative items from I cloud or SketchUp because it’s crashing the system? Actually I see here great renderings with many items in 360 …. I am really frustrated about that..I appreciate any help

Best Regards,

Anna

• February 7, 2017 at 5:24 pm #119445
      Neil Wilson
      Participant

Hi Again Anna,

As I said in the other post, we do not recommend using items from sketchup in your designs, especially if you are doing 360 panos, because we do not create the sketchup files and if they are poorly done they can be very memory intensive.  a 360 pano is actually 6 full renderings that are then glued together by the software.  This is a memory intensive operation all on its own, if you add multiple items from sketchup you are more likely to exceed the memory allotment Windows assigned to 2020 and this will cause the software to fail.

Neil

• February 7, 2017 at 6:51 pm #119469

What Neil said is correct – 2020 Design is currently a 32 bit program and therefore has limits on the amount of memory it can use. They are looking at making it 64 bit but afaik there is no ETA on that change.

There are a few things you can try:

Remove most/all of the Sketchup items from the drawing and try and find 2020 Cloud or Catalogue replacement versions. If you can’t find what you want, let the forum know as there may be such an item in a catalogue somewhere.

Try and avoid using custom textures – these also use up memory.

Reboot your computer and close EVERY bit of software that you don’t need for the render. Dropbox, antivirus etc. Just temporarily.

Try rendering at a lower resolution. Start with Low and make sure the render works THEN add the Sketchup/Cloud items one at a time. I’d prefer to have a pretty picture at low res than a plain one at medium but perhaps you are different.

There seem to be no hard rules as to what will work and what does not but Sketchup items and custom textures definitely eat a lot of memory in a drawing. They even cause the file size to grow significantly.

• February 8, 2017 at 9:14 am #119537
      Anna K
      Participant

Thanks a lot for your help.I’ll try to replace all SketchUp items and hopefully it’ll work

Have a great day,

Anna

• February 9, 2017 at 2:54 am #119680

I had a think about the issue and Googled and found something that may help:

32 bit programs are limited to a maximum use of 4GB RAM but when you run them on a 64bit operating system then the situation actually worsens as the system keeps 2GB for the 32bit OS ’emulation’ and only allows the app (2020 Design in this case) to use 2GB of RAM. The link below contains a free utility that allows the app to use the whole 4GB of RAM.

I have to do some testing but I’ve patched my copy of Design and it still runs OK so I need to find a drawing that will run out of memory under normal circumstances. I’ll report back.

http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php

• February 9, 2017 at 3:23 am #119681

Grrrrrrr – when I want it to run out of RAM, it won’t! Just added a few Sketchup items and rendered to 360 at Retina res and it worked!

Adding more items now.

• February 9, 2017 at 5:22 pm #119766
      Neil Wilson
      Participant

Hey Mike,

I’m super interested in your findings.  Post em here when you get a chance and thanks a lot, this could help out.

Neil

• February 9, 2017 at 7:31 pm #119770

Hi Neil,

It’s bloody typical but I added sketchup items to the point where it was taking 2-3 minutes to do ANYTHING in Design and yet when I rendered it still came out OK even at retina resolution.

I’m going to do more stress testing today.

Cheers

Mike

• February 9, 2017 at 9:58 pm #119805

Woohoo! – that seemed to work. I got an out of memory error on this design before the patch and after the patch it rendered to 360 OK. I DID have to reboot as when it ran out of memory it also crashed my system so the tests are not 100% (a clean reboot might have fixed the memory error) but it SEEMS to work. The render also completed faster than I expected.

Result here – http://panorama.2020.net/view/o0q63ylauos1w0strapnw/

The bar stools, chopping board, wine bottle & glasses, the Thermomix and the fridge are all Sketchup shapes. Apologies for the poor lighting setup etc but I was testing the memory issue and not trying to sell a kitchen!

Neil, this patch is definitely worth doing some testing on.

Anybody else that wants to test it, it’s at your own risk and save a copy of the design.exe file as design-old.exe then patch design.exe. This way you can revert quickly if it gives you problems.

• February 9, 2017 at 10:40 pm #119806

Design did crash on me when exiting but this drawing WAS a stress test. Just remember to save any open drawings BEFORE your render.

• March 24, 2017 at 9:34 am #122691
      John Onembo
      Participant

Thank you Mike. This little tool is looking to be a huge time saver.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.