Problems with rendering

• August 12, 2016 at 3:00 pm #98108
      Kim Priess
      Participant

My computer has started saying that there are problems with the program and it needs to shut down, and closes program every time I hit “perspective.” It was working fine until yesterday. Running Windows 10, nothing new installed or changed. I was running v11.4 this morning, but upgraded to 11.5 just to see if it would correct the issue. Unfortunately still won’t work. I’m not very Windows savvy as I have always used Mac. Not sure where to start to troubleshoot. I’ve run every diagnostic I could find.  Ideas?

• August 12, 2016 at 3:12 pm #98109
      Neil Wilson
      Participant

Hi Kim,

If it worked yesterday you can try a quicky reset on 2020.  Close the software and go to the maintenance tools for 2020. (orange circle with a wrench and a screwdriver) in the maintenance tools on the right side there is a section to delete temporary files.  Select any boxes it will let you select (usually just the bottom 2) and click on delete. It never deletes all the files so don’t worry about it.  Once that is done click on Repair Com.  It is on the left hand side of the maintenance tools window.  A little green bar will shoot across on the screen.  When that is done go up to 2020 Design Registry Reset.  This will reset the program to it’s defaults so if have sorted your catalogs or added items to your quick access bar you will need to redo that when you go back in to 2020.  Yes you are sure you want to do it and okay for successfully reset.  Close the maintenance tools, reopen 2020 Design, select your default catalog and make sure there is something in User and Company and click okay.  Give it a try.

Neil

• August 12, 2016 at 3:42 pm #98111
      Kim Priess
      Participant

Now my maintenance tools won’t even open. It just goes back to desktop screen and doesn’t do anything. Wondering if I’m going to need to reinstall the program. I don’t want to lose any of my designs, though.

• August 12, 2016 at 9:09 pm #98116

Windows 10 has a habit of updating constantly so although you may not have done anything, your machine may have.

Before doing much else, I’d try a System Restore and see if that fixes it. See here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/12415/windows-10-recovery-options

I’ve had to do a System Restore numerous times after Microsoft updates and it usually fixes the issue. HOWEVER, V11.4 is definitely more stable than V11.5 so you may wish to pick a Restore Point before you upgraded to V11.5. Otherwise follow the bits below:

Unistalling 2020 does not remove drawing files – at all – ever.

I would uninstall V11.5 but choose the Basic Uninstall that leaves catalogues there. Reboot then re-install V11.4 and see if it fixes the issue. If it doesn’t then do a Complete Uninstall (which removes catalogues BUT still leaves the drawing files) then reboot and install again.

Hope this helps.

• August 17, 2016 at 9:35 pm #98382
      Kim Priess
      Participant

I have done all of the above, and it still gives the message “rendering module unstable” and says to close the program. I uninstalled 11.5 and installed 11.4, have updated all video drivers and run every diagnostic available. Also did a recovery to a few days before I had problems, all with no luck. I’m at a loss…

• August 18, 2016 at 5:24 pm #98507
      Neil Wilson
      Participant

Hi Kim,

Rendering module unstable is pretty much always related to the driver for your video card.  Make sure you have the latest driver for your specific card installed.  You can get the driver from the manufacturer’s website.  My money says you have a Radeon card.  If that is the case might want to drop the driver back from the Crimson they have out now (version 16 I think it is) to an older catalyst version like catalyst 14.4. in the end that was a pretty stable driver.

Neil

• August 18, 2016 at 5:40 pm #98508
      Kim Priess
      Participant

My video driver is NVIDIA GEForce GTX750Ti. For some reason, the driver keeps getting uninstalled. When I installed Design 11.4, I was able to render older files, but the newer files created with 11.5 wouldn’t render. But after opening a few files, it shuts down again. So when I run the Maintenance Tools diagnostic, it always says my video driver is missing. So I install from Redway3D and it works for a little while, then it seems to go missing. I’ve repeated this process no less than a dozen times, always ending in same problem. I’m at the point of wondering if I need to do a full factory reset on my computer.

• August 18, 2016 at 8:51 pm #98509

Recent Windows 10 updates are definitely affecting 200 Design – V9 stopped working for no apparent reason for one of my Surface Pro users yesterday – checking the logs, Windows 10 installed about half a dozen updates.

Once you get it working I’d switch off Windows 10 updates and make sure that System Restore is switched on and working.

• August 25, 2016 at 10:21 pm #98896
      Kim Priess
      Participant

I have confirmed that Windows 10 automatic updates is installing a NVIDIA driver that is incompatible with my system. I think I’ve resolved the issue now by making sure that I am notified before computer updates drivers. It’s working now, so hoping it continues to work without issue.

• September 8, 2016 at 4:03 pm #100445
      Patrick Centore
      Participant

<div>Hello,
      I believe we are experiencing a similar issue to what you experienced, however our video driver is up to date and compatible and we are still having no success rendering.

Basic Computer Specs
      2020 Version: 11.5.1.4
      GPU – geforce gtx 745
      GPU Driver Version – 372.70
      CPU – intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz
      Memory – 16.00 GB RAM (15.94 GB Usable)
      Current Resolution – 1280 x 720, 60Hz
      Operating System – Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64 bit)

Our Issue:
      Each time we go to render there are two results that occur.

#1 – With the shapes on the “best” quality setting, 2020 stops working and crashes saying it has to close and saying Windows will notify us if there is a solution, but nothing happens.

#2 – With the only difference being the shapes on the “normal” quality setting, 2020 will load the render module, but only stays as a blank white screen.

Is this indeed similar to what you were experiencing? Or does anyone have suggestions to help? It is a brand new PC as we have just updated our equipment so all drivers and updates should be present. I have attempted this in the hidden line, color with line, color with texture and all still yield the same results. I have made sure the “obstacles and openings” wizard is closed and not trying to create another scene. It may be worth noting that the 2020 cloud never seems to connect on this computer either.

Our other computer is running the same version and has no issues at all with rendering. This computer with the issue should be the better of the two we have, but if there is something we should be checking other than what I’ve covered please do let us know.
      I’ve attached images of the settings we were attempting. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

</div>
      </div>

• September 8, 2016 at 5:18 pm #100478
      Patrick Centore
      Participant

Update:

I was not fully informed we had a live chat support functionality with our services, after speaking with the agent and allowing them to verify the patch update was installed it was found that our problem was a simple glitch that can happen from time to time with the program. To solve it, simply copy and paste the design into a new document. From there our renderings worked perfectly fine. We saved it as a version 2 and tested opening it again and it works to render again. A simple trick that may save some people a headache. NOTE: if you copy and paste the design to the new document you will have to redo all your styles as they do not carry over.

• September 9, 2016 at 10:13 am #100511
      Kim Priess
      Participant

My rendering issues seem to have been tied to the issues between Windows 10 and NVIDIA. Now that I have resolved that issue by disabling automatic updates, everything seems to be running fine. I believe Windows may have fixed this issue in a recent update.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Topic Tags