Really long save times

• November 3, 2017 at 3:40 pm #158416
      Chris Blackman
      Participant

This file I was working on today was taking 55-62 seconds to save, whether I did it manually or automatically.

The file is 60mb and it is being saved on a networked drive but I’ve never had a file take so long to save.

I timed it from the mouse button push to save until the hourglass icon went away.

Thoughts?

• November 3, 2017 at 4:18 pm #158422
      Ken Watkins
      Participant

I have noticed increased save and load times occasionally while windows is sneaking in an update – tying up valuable bandwidth on the network.  Doesn’t seem to be any rhyme or reason how they time the downloads, even though it is supposed to be while the network is otherwise “inactive”.    I know one of my machines was upgraded yesterday because of the restart notice.  Try saving the file again tomorrow and see what happens…

• November 5, 2017 at 6:50 pm #158435

Windows 10 is known for tying up bandwidth but updates shouldn’t hog it to this extent. Are youy on wireless or cabled and if so, what speed are you running at? Wireless 2.4GHz is actually quite slow especially compared to a Gigabit cabled link.

Try uninstalling that update and follow this for deferring future updates (it only works for wireless connections):

Setup A Metered Connection

Windows 10 offers users on metered connections a compromise: to save bandwidth Microsoft confirms the operating system will only automatically download and install updates it classifies as ‘Priority’.

While Microsoft doesn’t reveal its method of classification, this does cut down more frivolous updates which typically include new drivers and software features – both of which have already caused stability problems.

Open the Settings app (Win + I)
      Open the ‘Network & Internet’ section
      Open ‘Wi-Fi’ and click ‘Advanced Options’
      Toggle ‘Set as metered connection’ to ‘On’
      Note: If your PC uses an Ethernet cable to connect to the Internet the Metered Connection option will be disabled as it works with Wi-Fi connections only (silly I know).

• November 6, 2017 at 9:35 am #158438
      Ken Watkins
      Participant

And… sometimes a simple restart is all that is needed.

• November 6, 2017 at 12:18 pm #158501
      Chris Blackman
      Participant

Restart did not seem to help.

Wired connection.

I have updates set to inform me when ready and manual install.

I think it’s just the file.

• November 7, 2017 at 11:18 am #158902
      Neil Wilson
      Participant

Hey Chris,

I’m with you.  A 60mb file is pretty big file.  Admittedly 60 seconds is a really long time to save though.  If you try saving to your C: drive is the save any faster?  If it is it is likely an issue with the connection to the shared drive.

Neil

• November 7, 2017 at 6:22 pm #159558

60MB is big for a drawing but small for file transfers. A 250MB file COPIED to my network shared drive in 2 seconds (I’m on Gigabit Ethernet) HOWEVER, a 40MB file in 2020 saved to that same drive in 20 seconds so a 60MB file should have saved in 30 seconds.

Check the status of your network connection and see what it is running at. Also, the save speed can be affected by the speed of your PC – what spec is it?

• November 8, 2017 at 9:50 am #159632
      Chris Blackman
      Participant

Dell Precision T1700 i7-4770 @ 3.4GHz 16GB RAM, Windows 7 Prof 64-bit

internal gigabit ethernet connection.

I have sometime tomorrow I will call the help desk and see what we can fix.

• November 8, 2017 at 8:02 pm #159732

Yes but is the Gigabit connection actually running at a gigabit – I’ve come across many situations where the connection won’t go up that high due to cabling/switch/drivers etc.

Network Status will tell you the actual connection speed you are linked at and copying a substantial file to the server and timing it will also tell you a lot.

Nice spec PC btw – shame we are still waiting on a 64 bit version of 2020 so you could use the RAM (hint, hint).

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.