Sketch up

• March 29, 2017 at 9:17 pm #123190
      Steve Walters
      Participant

Every time I go to download a sketch up file a message pops up saying An error occurred while opening the sketch up document. The file appears to be unsupported or damaged.  Is there something I am missing?

• March 29, 2017 at 10:17 pm #123191

Firstly, the only current supported Sketchup format is 2014 so don’t press the first download button you see, click on the item itself so it is the only one on the page THEN go to the top right and click Download – you ought to be presented with different fomats and make sure you choose the 2014 format.

Secondly, I prefer just using my normal web browser to go to the Sketchup Warehouse and downloading all the useful shapes in one go and putting them in a Sketchup folder under 202 Files. I then use the Import from Local File option to brign them in.

• March 30, 2017 at 9:26 am #123195
      Neil Wilson
      Participant

Hi Steve,

As usual everything Mike says is true. Only 2014 shapes are supported in 2020 and because of changes made to the Sketchup website (made by Sketchup) you need to save the file from the web browser and then import it in to 2020 like Mike said. They have fixed the import issue in version 11.7 so you can once again import directly from the software but we are still limited to using the 2014 shapes.

Neil

• March 30, 2017 at 8:49 pm #123276
      Danny Steiger
      Pilot Pro

This is good to keep in mind if you are creating your own shapes in Sketchup as well – when you go to save them you can drop down the file type and save it as the proper version.  If you have a newer version of Sketchup it will of course default to that version which doesn’t play nice, as Neil and Mike said.

• March 30, 2017 at 10:20 pm #123277

Hi Neil,

I wasn’t even aware that the embedded html sketchup download was broken – I never use that method! lol.

Cheers

Mike

• June 3, 2017 at 1:30 am #132506
      Curt Hayos
      Participant

I was able to bring in sketch-up items today through the button within Design. Didn’t even know there was an issue. Clicked the button, search for an item, click on the item to get single item on page, click download, select sketch-up 2014 version.

The only part that didn’t work was, I couldn’t name the item so it showed up on the floor plan like a normal catalog item.  The shape was correct but blank.

Curt

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.