Streamlining Live Presentation Process

• January 11, 2018 at 2:00 pm #166122
      Dan Barker
      Spectator

Scenario: Clients come in to see our stunning (!!) 2020 3D designs and then begin choosing other tile in the showroom and want, of course, to see it rendered. But in most cases this means spending way too much time going to all the various surfaces to make the change to the new tile (especially as it takes too many mouse clicks [like 8] to drill down to one’s texture library and apply it for each surface). What would greatly streamline this process is if one could set file-specific styles to where all the surfaces using the same texture could be quickly changed in a single operation (and hopefully with far less mouse clicks). So I would select, for example, my “Backsplash” style, change the texture, and all the backsplashes on all the walls in the kitchen would change.

• January 11, 2018 at 6:33 pm #166124

Global Attributes OUGHT to work for this but it doesn’t.

What does work (for me anyway) is to Ctrl Click each splashback to select multiple surfaces then right click and go to Attributes/Textures and just change it once.

Also, instead of drilling down and if your are using textures from ‘Common’, you can always just look up the code number for that texture and then type that in and hit the search icon and it will take you straight to it.

Attachments:
    • January 12, 2018 at 10:52 am #166134
      Dan Barker
      Spectator

Yes, but having to have multiple elevations open and selecting items across them all… and since I don’t use Common elements… My point is that the coders need to be thinking more how we use 2020 in the real world and help us to serve our customers better by making this particular very common process considerably simpler, especially since it wouldn’t be that challenging from a programming perspective to accomplish. Styles are used in other programs such as word processors and page layout programs allowing one to quickly and efficiently make changes throughout the file.

• January 14, 2018 at 6:14 pm #166138

Software can ALWAYS be improved and I’m not disagreeing with you but I have to say that I try the alternatives frequently and 2020 Design is still probably the quickest tool out there to design a working kitchen. Couple that with a price of about half that of the alternatives and it’s pretty darn good value for money.

However, like you I get frustrated that it could be sooo much better if they just had a more rapid response to both bugs and wishlist features. With a bit more work and effort, it could easily be the number 1 choice.

Being specific, they seem to have stalled work on the style based catalogues.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.