Texture Material Appearance Broken 11.5

• July 6, 2016 at 6:35 pm #94421
      Danny Steiger
      Pilot Pro

I’m not sure if I just missed it in V11.4, but I saw that I can adjust the material appearances in V11.5 and was all excited (gloss for my custom countertop textures!), however this feature seems to be broken.

I’ve attached an image of what I’ve selected, the image source file, and how it renders.

The lighting is plenty high, so that’s not it.  As you can see the render is DARK, despite the source image being fairly light and the appearance settings set to what would make sense as a light, glossy surface.  The only way any of my textures render even close to accurately is if I leave them with no added “Material Appearance.”

If I’m doing something wrong then disregard this mini-rant…

Does anyone at 20-20 do internal testing before they release new versions?  I’m sure they do, but obviously they’re not testing many of the features that their CUSTOMERS use on a daily basis.  Things like this, or things like the snapping feature not working, or the line feature and typing in a length shooting it off in a random direction and not at all the length that was specified… This just baffles me.  I’m leaning more and more toward just using Sketchup with some plugins for renders.  Just crazy.  Add to it no 64bit support (yes, I understand it’s coming… some day…)

Ok, rant done.

Also attached a second texture… this one turned into a mirror somehow…

• July 7, 2016 at 8:20 am #94486
      Chris Setlock
      Participant

I’m struggling with this, too. I’m designing a kitchen and two baths for an out-of-town client.  I need to make nice renderings of the tile work.

I sure wish somebody from 2020 would respond to this, either with an expected date of a new patch, or directions on how to roll back to 11.4.

• July 13, 2016 at 10:50 pm #95178
        Edith
        Participant

Hi Danny
        I am curious to know if the image of the dark rendering has the “Exposure” setting enabled. If that is the case, can you tell me how the rendering looks if you disable it?

Thanks!

• July 7, 2016 at 10:09 am #94513
      Neil Wilson
      Participant

Hi Guys,

The super dark user defined textures is an issue in v11.5.1. They are aware of it and working to resolve it but I do not have any kind of timetable as to when it will be resolved.

You can roll back to version 11.4 by doing a basic uninstall of the program from the programs and features option of the Windows Control Panel. Go to the control panel, if you only have 8 choices go to the drop down menu in the upper right and select small icons instead of catagories. Then select programs and features and you should be presented with a list of all the software installed on your computer. Let the list populate and the select Design. With design selected click on change. This will start an “installer”. Next, remove, basic uninstall, next, remove, finish and Windows will uninstall version 11.5(It can take a couple of minutes to get from Remove to Finish). Once you click finish you just reinstall version 11.4. Using the basic uninstall allows you to keep your catalogs so you don’t need to reinstall them.

Neil

• July 7, 2016 at 1:10 pm #94535
      Chris Setlock
      Participant

Hi Neil,

OK.  Thanks for the reply.  I understand that you cant provide a date for the fix.  Still, can you tell us if it’s days, weeks, or months away?

Uninstalling and reinstalling, then re-configuring is a couple hours wasted.  If the patch is days away, I’ll wait for it, if it’s months away, I’ll reinstall.

• July 14, 2016 at 10:57 am #95214
      Danny Steiger
      Pilot Pro

Hi Edith,

I didn’t enable the Exposure setting on either of the renders – honestly it’s a feature I don’t use too often as it throws of other lighting so badly in most instances I’ve tried it.

Yesterday I had a 20 unit project to quote and I had a cabinet list, so I worked in the “Accessories & Extra Costs” area so I could just select the cabinet and quantity without having to place the cabinets in the design and I had crashes about every five minutes.  Not related to the rendering, but man was it unstable.  Side note:  Is there a better way to do a project pricing in 20-20?

• July 19, 2016 at 10:24 am #95896
      Larry
      Participant

We’ve tried version 11.5 and experienced the same issues with renderings as well as the inability to use specific modifictions or accessories like prior releases. Of course not to forgo mentioning but it crashes more then a bumper car ride 🙂 Here’s to hoping 11.5.2 is stable and working!(Although after using a 5 versions and a dozen+ releases over the past 8 years we’ve yet to see a problem free version so we’re not holding our breath)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.