this file empty or currupt chose another file

• April 3, 2018 at 5:37 pm #180294
      Sandy Jensen
      Participant

I have the latest windows and the latest version of 2020 are there any new updates or patches for this problem? I have lost one design 4 times!!!  Another one 2 times!! Not all of them were crashes. I saved, closed normally went to open the next day or even a few hours later to make revisions and got this message. Once I was able to open up the back up on one of them but not the others.

• April 4, 2018 at 10:10 am #180389
      Neil Wilson
      Participant

Hi Sandy,

There are a lot of possible causes for that issue.  It could be file related, it could be environmental, etc…  We are coming out with a new build very soon (11.9) that may address your issue but I think you benefit from calling the 1-866-697-2020 support line and having a tech connect to your computer via Team viewer.  That way they will be able to narrow down the possible causes and propose a solution.

Neil

• April 4, 2018 at 11:42 am #180392
      Cyndi Boogaards
      Participant

I too have this happen all the time.  I tried reducing the size of my custom textures as another user suggested, which helped quite a bit but I lost another design last week.  I did find a version of it in my wastebasket so look there.  Calling support was NO help.  They snooped around in my computer and then said it was something in my manufacture catalog that was causing the problem and to not use it.  What help is that? and doesn’t 2020 create these catalogs for the manufacturers?

• April 4, 2018 at 12:19 pm #180393
      Neil Wilson
      Participant

Hi Cyndi,

I’m glad reducing the size of the textures helped.  Version 11.9, that is due out any day now, has a feature that will do that for you automatically.

The most common source of errors with the software right now is running out of memory.  Out of memory problems are an ongoing issue with 2020 that they are working hard to resolve.  The issue arises from the fact that 2020 Design is still a 32bit application.  As a result of that Windows will only ever assign about 2.5 GB of RAM to the program.  If 2020 has been open for a long period (3-4 hours), If there are multiple designs or multiple renderings open, if you modify mouldings or countertops, if you import Items from Sketchup or use imported textures, etc… the memory allotment fills up and you will start to get these errors.

To avoid the error the first thing to do is make sure you are on the latest version of the software.  They made some changes in version 11.8 (and more in 11.9) that have a positive effect on memory management.  Make sure you have the latest driver for your video card.  Newer drivers are generally more efficient than older drivers.  Other things you can try include limiting the size of your designs.  If you usually layout the entire ground floor of the house, try to limit it to just the kitchen or bathroom you are designing instead.  Limit the number of items imported from Sketchup.  2020 has no control over the quality of the items generated in Sketchup and as such some of them will cause issues with the software.  The same with importing textures.  Imported textures are much “Heavier” that textures pulled from the catalogs and can cause the out of memory issues.  If you have been working in 2020 for a couple of hours take the time to save your file, close 2020 and then reopen it.  This clears the memory cache and gives you back your full 2.5 gb of Memory.

If you do get the memory error or the failed to save error one thing you can do to save the design is to select everything in the design.  Use the mouse, hold down the left mouse button and lasso the entire design.  Once everything is selected go to the home tab and select copy.  After you select copy, close design without saving the file.  Reopen 2020 and then go to the home tab and select paste.  Left click on the floorplan to drop the design back in.  This works because when you do a copy the design goes to the Windows Clipboard that is in a different memory space than the 2020 program.  Closing and reopening the software clears the memory cache and so you copy the design back in to a clean space.

I hope that helps.

Neil

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.