Turn off auto-dim?

• November 16, 2015 at 6:13 pm #58427
      ginabegin
      Participant

Can’t seem to find a way to turn these off in preferences or elsewhere. Can anyone advise on how to get rid of 2020 generating auto dimensions on everything?

Thanks!

• November 16, 2015 at 9:23 pm #58428

You alter this by adjusting the ‘display scheme’

Right click on a blank area of the design. Choose Display Settings and a window will pop up.

Make a note of the Scheme name near the bottom of the Window.

You will see various tabs across the top – choose dimensions.

Click on the plus symbol by Auto Dimensions and pick Residential.

You can expand anything with a plus sign and then tick or untick boxes until you get th dimensions the way you want them. When you are happy, choose Save As and then save the Scheme name using the name you noted before.

You can adjust the measurements, what’s included, etc etc.

Same method for elevations.

• November 17, 2015 at 10:04 am #58448
      Neil Wilson
      Participant

Mike’s tip for creating a custom scheme is a great way to go.  You can also select the all (no dims) tab down at the bottom of the work area.  That tab’s scheme is already set to show no dimensions.

Neil

• November 18, 2015 at 10:05 am #59296
      ginabegin
      Participant

Thanks, all. So I have to go into display settings each time I start a new project and select the theme I just created (based off Mike’s instructions) in order to avoid 2020 generating auto-dims? Seems like an extra step that should just be built into the preferences options so I can avoid it for all future projects; I’ll never want to use auto-dims, though I do use my own dims frequently.

Either way, appreciate at least knowing how to customize (more) quickly when starting new projects!

• November 19, 2015 at 10:58 pm #61031

You’ve missed the point of my ‘Save As’ bit – if you make the adjustments to the scheme AND THEN SAVE the scheme to the original name, those adjustments will be applied on every new drawing.

You could also give the scheme a new name and then just select that scheme on drawings where you want those settings to apply BUT NOT ALL THE TIME

Also, as pointed out, there is a tab on the bottom for no dimensions (for the floorplan) although sometimes, the default scheme for this has the User dimension option switched off.

Elevations have no such options so you use the specific scheme you want.

The schemes are a very powerful and handy way of controlling how floorplans and elevations are presented.

Some of my clients have several schemes and then customise the floorplan tabs using these schemes so they can present floorplans that only have base cabinets (& measurements) shown then another tab has wall cabinets only (& measurements) shown and another tab for tall cabinets and yet another for appliance positions. This makes it easy for the installer to work through the different positions without getting confused with all the measurements.

• November 30, 2015 at 8:09 pm #62904
      Amy Krause
      Participant

Somewhere I had read that someone had adjusted a setting to show a centerline dimension upon placement of plumbing or appliance.  My NKBA scheme does not show centerlines.  Can you help me fix this? Thanks.

• December 2, 2015 at 10:33 pm #63243

Hi Amy,

Follow my instructions above for altering the display scheme (make sure you are in the NKBA view). On the Dimensions Tab, click the + by the side of Residential to expand it then click the + against the side of appliances then choose one of the appliance types (e.g. sink or cooktop). You will then see that the option of ‘Continuous (Centre)’ is unticked and ‘Continuous (length)’ is ticked – swap the ticks around and the appliance will now show the distance to centre.

You can do the same for Bathroom items.

Make sure you save the altered scheme back under the NKBA name and let it overwrite.

From now on, those items will show dimensions as required.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Topic Tags