V11.8 and Mirror Texture Issue

• February 15, 2018 at 10:30 pm #170799
      Kate
      Participant

Since upgrading to V11.8 the mirror texture does not seem to work.

I have tried using mirror as a door front texture in bathroom designs as well as downloading  mirrors from 2020Cloud and both appear black in the renders.

Am I doing something wrong or is this an issue with the current version?

Thanks, K8

Attachments:
    • February 16, 2018 at 9:58 am #170871
      Neil Wilson
      Participant

Hi Kate,

Often it is just the drivers for your graphics card so updating the drivers could fix it.  It could be that the card you have won’t create the mirror effect in the “Working” mode and you need to click the camera on the toolbar in the rendering window to generate the HD render.  The mirror effect should definitely be there in the HD version of the rendering.

Neil

• February 21, 2018 at 9:12 pm #171914
      Kate
      Participant

<p style=”margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;”><span style=”color: #000000; font-family: Calibri;”>Hi,</span></p>

<p style=”margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;”><span style=”color: #000000; font-family: Calibri;”> </span></p>

<p style=”margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;”><span style=”color: #000000; font-family: Calibri;”>I am also having problems with the mirror finish. I am running V11.8.2.13 and a decent specification notebook with 2020 set to use the onboard Nvidia GTX950M graphics card. </span></p>

<p style=”margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;”><span style=”color: #000000; font-family: Calibri;”> </span></p>

<p style=”margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;”><span style=”color: #000000; font-family: Calibri;”>If I draw a simple room and put a mirror surface in with (for example) a stool on the floor, my render (Medium setting) looks fine with the stool reflecting in the mirror. However, if I draw a full kitchen and then put a mirror surface in as the splashback, the mirror shows up as black. If I then switch the render detail from Medium to High, it shows up correctly. Could this be due to running low on memory?</span></p>

<p style=”margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;”><span style=”color: #000000; font-family: Calibri;”>I have spent hours trying the Intel and NVidia displays for the rendering and tried both the Windows and the latest (& earlier) Manufacturers drivers. Same thing every time.</span></p>

<p style=”margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;”><span style=”color: #000000; font-family: Calibri;”>Any suggestions please? </span></p>

• February 22, 2018 at 12:23 am #171915

I’ve been able to duplicate this and also some of my users have the same issues – it seems to be allied to the size/complexity of the drawing but not always. If I change the render to high from medium, it works.

Any further thoughts Neil?

• February 22, 2018 at 10:09 am #171916
      Neil Wilson
      Participant

Hey Guys,

It might be memory related but I believe it has more to do with the video card in the computer and/or the drivers for the card.  In my old machine mirrors showed up reflective at medium.  That computer had an Nvidia Geforce GTX card.  I think it was a 600 series.  Curse my failing memory.  The laptop I have now is running a Quadro m1000m and it will only show reflective surfaces on high or in the HD render.  So I believe it is a matter of how the card handles reflective surfaces.

Neil

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.