vaulted ceiling

• February 20, 2018 at 6:50 pm #171694
      Chris Setlock
      Participant

Help!  I’m working with a client and contractor who is converting an old church to living space.  The vaulted ceiling is being a real bear, since the highest point is in the center of the room.

I almost had it by taking the “barrel vault” shape from the underground catalog, flattening it, tilting it, and stacking multiples, so they intersect like the roof on a house of cards.

Is there a better way?  Please say there is!

Attachments:
    • February 20, 2018 at 9:06 pm #171704
      Ken Watkins
      Participant

you may be able to use the wall properties to help.  That allows you to set a height at the beginning and another height at the end of the wall to get a slanted roof  line.  To get a peaked roof, you have to break the wall into 2 segments. In  a case like the back wall shown,  I would make 4 segments of wall to handle the 3 angle changes in the ceiling.  Looks like you have an angle on the side walls to deal with, too.  Works ok to show the wall elevations and a simple peaked roof (img 4&5),   but with no way to tell it which vertices to connect, you can get some really weird ceiling effects in a situation like this…  (img 2&3).

• February 21, 2018 at 5:50 pm #171913

The UNDRGRND catalogue has a beam which can be adjusted to all angles and have all its dimensions changed – you could use multiples of the beam widened and thinned to represent the ceiling portions.

• February 24, 2018 at 4:04 pm #172128
      Chris Setlock
      Participant

Got it!  After a lot of tinkering, I was able to make a passable ceiling just using changing height walls.  I had to be very careful which walls “connect to ceiling” and which don’t.

Strictly speaking, it’s not 100% accurate, since the central peak is higher than any of the walls.  Also, I didn’t get the trim on the groins, but it’s good enough for my purposes.

Attachments:
    • February 24, 2018 at 4:16 pm #172138
      Chris Setlock
      Participant

BTW:  has anyone else noticed that Auto-Deco no longer works, since the sample deco catalog was killed off?  I dont normally bother with baseboard and chair-rail, but I want to put it in these drawings.  Looks like I need to use running line.

Attachments:
    • February 24, 2018 at 4:27 pm #172148
      Chris Setlock
      Participant

I noticed that light properties does not work at all on lights from the cloud, and light shape no longer works for light in the local sample catalog.

Lastly, I was able to get the stained glass texture by using a photo of the actual windows in lieu of the default glass texture, but notice that it repeats the texture in each sash, so the top sash isnt right.  Probably close enough, but I’d like to get it perfect if possible.  Anyone have ideas?

• February 25, 2018 at 11:35 pm #172177
      Ken Watkins
      Participant

Man, that looks fantastic!   Try using an architectural window (solid 1 piece glass) for the window instead of the double hung ones. Your picture has the sash line in it already.  Lights in the cloud catalog that don’t work is a known issue.  There is a puck light floating around in one of the room catalogs that has editable properties (the light properties and also the visibility to transparent) that can be used with the dummy light fixtures to simulate the working fixture. Might be some in the undergnd catalog also.

• February 26, 2018 at 9:33 am #172200
      Chris Setlock
      Participant

Thanks, Ken!

I did try the architectural window.  It works well for the domed clerestory, but for the double hung, not so much.  Despite changing the trim settings in attributes>variables, the window remained trimmed in miter-cut ranch molding, which looks cheap.  The existing windows have 4″ sides and apron with 6″ pediments.

I realize I’m a bit picky, but in this business details count, and being picky is a strength.  I bugs the crap out of me when I cant get the details just right.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.