Version 12.4.16.86 endless crashes

• March 18, 2021 at 6:09 pm #320373
      Steve Matlaga
      Participant

Hello friends,

20-20 Live has started to crash non-stop recently.  The biggest change was that customer support had me update windows 10 to the latest version.

2020 was on the computer for 40 minutes today trying to fix this.  They didn’t want to wait around to see me actually open a file.  Guess what,  they hung up, I went to work, it crashed again!

I’ve reset EVERYTHING I could.   Validated databases, the whole nine yards.

Symptoms:

Random Crashes within minutes of working on a design.  No warning, just closes software back to desktop.

Random ‘SAVE AS’ dialog pops up, let’s you save, and ends program.

There is no commonality or set time for the crashes.   Seconds, minutes, 10 minutes.   One cabinet, ten cabinets, new drawing, old drawing.  All completely random.

Has anyone had this experience?

Running on a Dell Laptop G7, using external monitor to mirror laptop monitor.  Running at 1080p on both laptop and monitor.  2070 super GPU.  Plenty of ram and SSD storage.  Nothing else on this system has ever crashed!  This is just a 2020 design issue.

Help!  Please.  I’m losing my mind and soon customers

Thanks,

• March 18, 2021 at 6:31 pm #320374
      Erik Tornquist
      Participant

I really wish I had an answer for you but the same thing happens with mine, although I hadn’t updated to 12.4 yet. Waiting for (most) of the bugs to be worked out.

I’ll work on a design, either walk away for about an hour or just switch over to another program, then go back to 2020 and the “save as” dialog is there as if you were to close out the program mid-design, and closes. Unfortunately, mine shuts down without warning every so often after doing something common with the rendering window.
      The answer is always “reinstall the program…” and all of that but still have issues. I think it comes down to what you said: Windows 10 updates. My computer is a higher end “gaming” laptop with some fairly powerful specs, don’t have issues with any other apps but my guess is because those are updated more often. It’s not too bash 2020Spaces at all, I’m sure they don’t have the manpower like Adobe, Steam/Ubisoft/EA, Blender, Microsoft, Mozilla, Reaper, etc… and can’t perform updates as often as them.
      Happens with apps on the phone too. If an app isn’t updated after the operating system is updated, there tends to be more glitches. Some people don’t have issues but others do. I’m not a programmer so I can’t tell you how it’s fixed, only what I have experienced and others stories as well.

• March 18, 2021 at 8:05 pm #320382
        Pasquale Brancati
        Participant

Hello Steve,

I’m sorry to hear your issue remains unresolved after that amount of time with a support agent. I’d like to have a senior member of the support team reach out to you & get this resolved for you. I ask you to please send an email to residentialsupport@2020spaces.com (ATT: Pat) in the subject line, and I’ll get someone on this right away for you.

Thank you
        2020 Team

• March 18, 2021 at 6:55 pm #320377
      Steve Matlaga
      Participant

I hear yah!  I’ve spent so much time on phone with updates… It’s costing our company money now!  I am not sure what to do.   This level program should NOT have dead out crashes!  I personally think this is all about the LIVE keyless access!  Never had any crashes life this, ever!  ONce and a while, but you always sort of knew why!  This?  This makes 2020 useless.

I’m going to have to figure something out or I’m in deep sheep!

Oh, and worse?  I am pretty sure that designs you create in a later version will not be backward compatible.   I hope I’m wrong.   At least if they are, I’ll just go back to 12.2 or something and see if 2020 will re-activate the usb key for now.

You know what get’s me!  The Customer Service rep telling me he never heard of 2020 crashing in this way.   I hate B.S. responses.   Just be up front and say, we are having a major issue and plan on a solution in a day or two.   Let me offer you an alternative until we fix this! I feel like 2020 customer service is now served by a third world provider who has a script and little knowledge of the software.   I miss the good old days when I could get the same person direct from 2020 up in Canada who know what they were talking about.

• March 19, 2021 at 11:26 pm #320478
      Ali Layik
      Participant

i’ve purchase 2 computers for the company. Both of them having the same issue. When i hit the rendering it crashes right away.
      It seems like 2060 super and 2070 super graphic cards not compatible  with the software. I tried various versions of  the driver but no luck. It works a little then crashes again.
      I disabled the 2070 super gpu and used intel. it works but so slow which would drive you crazy..

Please reach out to me if anyone finds a solid solution for this.

• March 22, 2021 at 8:33 pm #320624

Hi all,

Just be aware that a recent Microsoft update is causing severe issues in quite a few areas (but mainly printing) for many Wndows applications. The update is KB5000802 and if you have tried everything else (registry reset, uninstall/reinstall) then it is certainly worth trying to uninstall the Microsoft Update and see if it fixes things/reduces crashes in 2020. The update was released on 9th March but may have installed itself after that date.

Honestly, I have very few crashing issues with the non-Live (we don’t have Live in Australia yet) version of V12.4 and I support 14+ users who are intensive users generating at least 3-4 designs a day and often more.

• March 23, 2021 at 8:43 am #320628
        Pasquale Brancati
        Participant

Hello,

To further support Mike’s last post, this recent Microsoft update has the same implications with 2020 Design Live. As a result we are advising customers to temporarily uninstall this last Microsoft update until Microsoft has released an update to correct it.

Thank you
        2020 Team

• March 23, 2021 at 10:02 am #320637
      Clay Johnson
      Participant

Reinstall the most current Microsoft frameworks. If you have an Nvidia GPU google DDU uninstall and follow the steps. I have had issue with some of the Nvidia drivers leaving noise/junk in folder after a standard install and when it does an action in 2020 it just nukes the program and it crashes. Once I reinstalled the MS framework and safe mode wiped the Nvidia driver with the DDU software THAN did a fresh Nvidia drive install that fixed the issue. My PC is 100% update with windows 10 updates. No issues now.

• March 25, 2021 at 12:06 pm #321036
      Ali Layik
      Participant

I tried all above suggestions, Problem persists … attached info is what i get from security and maintenance log.
      Also only time that i can get it to work is when i use 2020 maintenance software and clear the registry. It works about 3-5 mins and it crashes again when i hit rendering.

Attachments:
    • March 28, 2021 at 8:00 pm #321522

Hi Ali,
      This is extremely unusual behaviour – can you not flip to the Redway engine rather than the Live one?

When it comes to drivers, if I have trouble (rare on NVidia) I switch to the Windows Hardware Quality Lab (WHQL) version which usually fixes any issues. In your case, I would suggest V461.40 (see pic).

• March 29, 2021 at 11:21 am #321568
      Kristopher Papaleo
      Participant

Hi Ali,

Are the computers you purchased Dell or MSI? Are they using multiple monitors? I have seen issues related to Nahimic service on Dell and MSI machines. Nahimic will mess around with the rendering on secondary monitors.

I would suggest to contact our Support Department to have an agent remote to your computer and have a look. You can reach us by calling 1.866.697.2020.

Regards,

Kris

• March 29, 2021 at 11:52 am #321576
      Ali Layik
      Participant

I have these two computers that has same exact problems
      Alienware – Aurora R11 Desktop – Intel Core i7 10700F – 16GB Memory – NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER

and the other one is
      Alienware – Aurora R11 Desktop – Intel Core i7 10700F – 16GB Memory – NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER

I tried calling in, but they wouldn’t help me because support is over. I asked them to reinstate it, but they wouldn’t. During the COVID-19  store was closed many months and during that time Support was ended..

the other 2 pc i mentioned above has Nahimic service and stopped it. As soon as i stopped that service 2020 3d started working. I will keep you posted. We will test it all day today and tomorrow. I really hope that this fixes it for good!!

• March 29, 2021 at 12:03 pm #321584
      Kristopher Papaleo
      Participant

Hi Ali,

Turning off the Nahimic service in the Task Manager will not work forever. If windows updates, then it can turn Nahimic back on. Follow the steps below to fix the issue for good!

1.  Go to  c:\programdata\a-volute\\DellInc.AlienwareSoundCenter\Modules\ScheduledModules\Configurator

2.  Open the “blackapps.dat” file with notepad

3.  Add lerendu.exe and design.exe to the list

4.  Save the “blackapps.dat” to the desktop  *you will not be able to save and overwrite the existing file*

5.  Drag the “blackapps.dat” file from the desktop into the folder c:\programdata\a-volute\\DellInc.AlienwareSoundCenter\Modules\ScheduledModules\Configurator

6.  Choose “replace existing file”

This will guarantee that Nahimic will no longer interfere with 2020 design, disabling the Nahimic service in windows will not.

Regards,

Kris

• March 29, 2021 at 1:53 pm #321591
      Ali Layik
      Participant

Thank you Kris. I will do this as well.

after 2 hours of use: So far so good it has not crashed yet. At this point i think we found a permanent fix for my problem. Thank you so much everyone.

• March 31, 2021 at 1:43 am #322004

Very interesting Kris – I just bought 2 MSI Laptops and will make sure Nahimic is disabled on these. The users have not reported any issues but I will do it just in case.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Topic Tags