Wishlist – assorted

• March 5, 2018 at 6:58 pm #174728

Hi,

Here are 2 more items for the wishlist.

1) The ability to specify different handle styles (& heights) for each door/drawer of a cabinet. I’ve managed to use a workaround using an expression but it would be superb if this could be built in (StylePuli1, StylePuli2 etc).

2) The ability to change finishes in Panoramic 360s in real time. This would allow clients to paly with different finish combinations rather than have to wait ages for the re-render. The Panoramic 360 is just a spherical jpg so this should not be difficult – there are programs from paint manufacturers that allow you to do this.

• March 5, 2018 at 8:41 pm #174729
      Jonothan Desimini
      Participant

I completely agree with Mike. Moreso with #1 but #2 would be nice as well. It seems hardware types and sizes can be locked down by the manufacturer of the catalog. Which is often frustating because some don’t even sell hardware nor do most designers than I know of buy from the manufacturer. Most go to hardware vendors they carry in their showrooms or that they like better than the small offerings to be had.

I have one or two catalogs that give full reign to adjust the handle length or thickness and then the rest of my vendors (4-5 of them) won’t allow you to adjust any properties relating to the hardware. This leaves you with having the right shape but not at the right size, having proportions that are often miniscule and only cheapen the render than enhance it. Because of these issues I just leave out the hardware in my renders. Three vendors allow you to select “no hardware” under the styles & pricing menu. Or I do it manually by changing the expressions for hardware to “0” or  making the hardware transparent, depending on the manufacturers limitations.

Mike how do you make adjustments with expressions? I’m guessing that’s not an option when the hardware properties are locked down or not even visible in certain catalogs then, right?

• March 5, 2018 at 8:51 pm #174730

Hi Jonothon,

Yes, if the catalogue is locked down, there is nothing you can do.

Re expressions, I created a quick video here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vioi2l5njtx3qgf/ice_video_20180306-080437.webm?dl=0

Basically, you right click on the field you want in the left column and change it to Expressions then you can type in a formula in the right column. This can be very handy for example if the door styles are locked down. If the door style is 78, you can change it to 78+glass and make it a glass door.

Many thanks to Kevin Roberts of Kev’s Catalogs for teaching me this method.

Attachments:
    • March 5, 2018 at 8:52 pm #174740
      Jonothan Desimini
      Participant

Got it! Yeah I actually forgot that I knew that. I guess my real issue stems from what feels like random designs to lock or not lock certain portions of the variables by manufacturers. 2020 should not allow the manufacturer to control this aspect of the variables unless a hardware option that is sold by them is selected. Once selected the variables should lock but there should be a universal or global option for every catalog that allows for USER Defined or something like that. Giving the designer the chance to specify their own hardware style and dimensions. I’m probably being too picky or creating a mountain of a molehill but it just doesn’t make sense the way it is now. It’s definitely not designer friendly in this regard.

Oh and to tack on one more request:

#3 Lighting – make the default light color white not yellow for BOTH manually placed spot lights or any manually placed fixtures AND the room lighting to white. The room lighting has no adjustability in the program but the yellow cast they have on the white cabinets that so many of us do is a challenge.

My work around has been to shut off the room lighting for every design and placing all my own lighting. This makes designing 2x’s as long. This is a simple fix. Please!!!

• March 5, 2018 at 10:45 pm #174742

Can we change #3 to make the defaults selectable – I prefer the warm lighting for traditional kitchens but would prefer a daylight option for more modern kitchens.

• March 9, 2018 at 3:48 pm #175861
      Santiago Morales
      2020 Expert

Hello Gentelmen,

Thank you for all these great comments!

For #1 Access to Multiple Hardware Pulls, we will look at the capability to add pulls from different hardware manufacturers, not only to the ones included in the Cabinet Manufacturer Catalog. This what we make reference to Cross Catalog access. The good news is that we are considering this capability in our architecture for our Cloud solution.  If I understand correctly, we would need to be able to select a pull type, change its dimensions and position.  Most likely you would need to change its texture as well.

For #2 Change the Finish on a 360 Panoramic Image.  This sounds like a cool feature.  Unfortunately I have a hard time wrapping my head around how we could change do this type of manipulation an jpeg image.  I know we can perform some post image processing on colors but it could have some adverse effect on the entire image (not only the cabinets). Currently the only way is to re-render.  Mike, do you have a link to the tool you are referring too?  I would like to look into it.  Another challenge is that in order to apply the proper finish, the tool needs to have access to your library (our 360 server does not).

For #3  Configurable Light Color.   I agree with you, this looks rather simple to implement.  We will definitely consider it.

Thanks again, Santiago

• March 11, 2018 at 7:01 pm #176000

Hi Santiago,

#1 – Awesome! I was wondering if a cloud/add-on catalog solution would be possible. I supoose the difficulty is that of ‘docking’ the add-on handle to the same (adjustable) position as the inbuilt one.

#2 – This is the one I am most familiar with http://www.resene.co.nz/ezypaint/ – Dulux used to have a similar tool but it seems to be Mobile based only now.

#3 – This would be VERY helpful and hopefully would be included with an earlier suggestion of mine regarding the position and pattern of the room lighting.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.