Subscribe to 2020 Blog
10 tips on how to become a better designer
1. Use a design strategy
Learning how to become a better designer starts with planning and strategizing. You need to have a clear design strategy in place, one that revolves around satisfying the needs of your client.
- Understand and identify the needs of your clients
- Find out how you can help solve their problem (not enough storage, no seating area, not enough counter space, no proper flow, etc.)
- Come up with creative and innovative solutions
- Keep fundamental interior design principles in mind
2. Stop and listen
One of the main things to keep in mind is to listen to what your clients have to say. Sure, you’re the expert and you probably know better, but there might be things you miss if you don’t take the time to listen.
- Ask relevant questions
- Have a 2-way conversation with your clients
- Listen to what your clients have to say
- Try not to talk about yourself too much
- Ask your clients about themselves (lifestyle, likes & dislikes, etc.)
3. Know your stuff
Part of learning how to become a better designer is knowing your stuff. When you meet with a client, you’ll be expected to answer questions and to know what you’re talking about.
- Be prepared to answer client questions
- Know your products (kitchen cabinets, cost, materials, what they’re made of, etc.)
- Don’t use confusing terminology
- Relay proper information and be clear and concise
4. Keep your promises
There’s nothing worse than telling your client you can accomplish something when you know you can’t. Don’t close a deal if you know you’re not a good match and cannot fulfil your client’s needs.
- Don’t make promises you can’t keep
- If you won’t be able to deliver, it’s ok to say no
- Sometimes it’s ok to turn a customer away
- It’s better to say no than to end up with an angry/disappointed customer
5. Attend tradeshows
Pinterest and interior design magazines are great sources of inspiration, but there’s nothing quite like attending a tradeshow to really shake things up.
- Experience different designs
- Learn about new technology
- Change your perception of design
- Learn about new trends
6. Embrace technology
If you want to stay ahead of the game, you’re going to have to embrace technology. There’s no way around it, and the faster you use and implement technology, the better. Technology can help your customer visualize their space.
7. Design with passion
Remind yourself how much you love interior design and you’ll be one step close to understanding how to become a better designer. Reignite that passion and you’ll design great things.
- Take on each project as if it were your own
- Deliver designs you are proud of
- Don’t settle for mediocre designs
8. Never stop learning
We all like to believe we know everything, but there is always something new to learn. And the more you learn, the better interior designer you’ll be.
- Keep up with trends
- Watch webinars
- Read articles and blog posts
- Attend software trainings
9. Value your time
We’ve all heard the saying “time is money.” We’re here to tell you that time, in fact, is invaluable – and it’s precious, so you better make yours count.
- Use your time effectively
- Manage your time properly
- Use the right design program to avoid constant back-and-forth
10. Inspire yourself
Being an interior designer can sometimes be lonely and isolating. You spend hours (or days!) designing on your computer or sketching, and you might end up feeling discouraged if your client doesn’t like your designs.
- Find inspirational quotes and try to live by them
- Be optimistic & stay positive
- Don’t be discouraged by setbacks
- Take a walk and find inspiration in the beauty around you
Share this Post