2020 Design V12 – 64 Bit!

• November 5, 2019 at 1:27 pm #258707
      Santiago Morales
      2020 Expert

Hello 2020 Users!

We are thrilled to let you know that 2020 Design v12 is now available! The latest version is powerful, stable and full of fun features to enhance your designs.

What’s new in 2020 Design v12:

• A powerful and more stable 64-bit architecture
      • Support for the latest SketchUp models
      • Increased precision added to light placement with the addition of cross-hairs
      • And so much more….

Click here to learn more

Thank you!

Santiago

• November 6, 2019 at 12:52 pm #258975
      Jay Adams
      Participant

Excited about the update but also already having issues. It already is slower than last version. Its not file size because the file was created in version 11. Catalog browser is missing and was one of my favorite ‘shortcuts’ to view all items. What can you suggest to run a stable v12? I am using a computer with required specs to run v12 if not more. Please advise.

• February 23, 2020 at 2:03 pm #269976

<p style=”color: #333333; font-family: Georgia,&quot; times new roman&quot;,&quot;bitstream charter&quot;,times,serif; font-size: 16px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: 2; text-align: left; text-decoration: none; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px;”>Good morning! Can anyone tell me how to export a file from 2020 Design V12 to another designer who also has 2020 Design which they can open and modify said design?</p>
        <p style=”color: #333333; font-family: Georgia,&quot; times new roman&quot;,&quot;bitstream charter&quot;,times,serif; font-size: 16px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: 2; text-align: left; text-decoration: none; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px;”>Ive been searching for 3 days on how to do this and all I can find is how to export to CAD.</p>
        <p style=”color: #333333; font-family: Georgia,&quot; times new roman&quot;,&quot;bitstream charter&quot;,times,serif; font-size: 16px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: 2; text-align: left; text-decoration: none; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px;”>Thank you,</p>
        <p style=”color: #333333; font-family: Georgia,&quot; times new roman&quot;,&quot;bitstream charter&quot;,times,serif; font-size: 16px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: 2; text-align: left; text-decoration: none; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px;”>Mary</p>

• November 7, 2019 at 6:58 pm #259129

Hi Jay, I certainly don’t find it any slower than V11 and on renders it definitely seems faster. I’m on a Toshiba Laptop – specs are i7-4710HQ processor – peaks at 3.5GHz, 16GB of RAM, dual SATA SSD drives and an AMD R9 M200MX graphics set – it’s 5 years old and still provides acceptable performance in V12.

One comment I’ve seen come up in the Facebook forum is that users on AMD Ryzen systems are having fewer crashes in 2020 than when they were on Intel. That has not been my experience in the past but the Ryzen series definitely offers more computing power for less $$

If you aren’t a member of the Facebook forum, it’s a great 2020 community that is very active and has more than 1,000 members. https://www.facebook.com/groups/2020PUG/

• November 20, 2019 at 11:37 am #260204
      Tom Jeffers
      Participant

Would it be possible to get some clarification on the minimum system requirements and the recommended system specifications for version 12? I read the release information, and it seems a bit dubious to just nonchalantly recommend an 8th gen i7 and a GTX 1080. Those are massive upgrades in both computing power and price. You’re going from an $800-1,000 build to a $2,500+ build here.

I find it hard to believe that those are needed for decent performance on Version 12 (not bleeding edge performance). I would be interested in learning the specific minimum requirements as well as recommendations for the new version.

I definitely understand that our GTX 1050 Ti’s might leave a lot to be desired and could use replacing, but surely the Core i5-8600K should be more than adequate? It’s a six-core processor clocked at 4.3GHz. Easily overclocked to 4.5-4.7GHz on all cores even for a beginner.

The support team on 2020.net wasn’t able to give me any clarification at all. They maintained the need for an i7. The most I was able to get out of them was that V12 will run, but less than ideal.

Thanks

• November 20, 2019 at 3:41 pm #260264
      Santiago Morales
      2020 Expert

Hello Tom,

Thank you for your feedback. We have removed the minimum set of requirements for the sake of simplicity,  The requirements specs are very dependent on how 2020 Design is used. Depending on the size of your projects some tasks will require different set of hardware components. The recommended V12 specs are considered to be optimal for all features of 2020 Design.

The good news is that if you currently have V11 installed on your computer,  V12 will work as well if not better.

To answer your question, V12 architecture adheres to the same hardware architecture of V11 and therefore one could argue that V11 minimum requirements could apply to V12.

I have attached the release notes of V11.12.

Thank you,

Santiago

• November 21, 2019 at 3:05 pm #260380
      Sanoma Kitchens
      Participant

So what happened to what I posted on here yesterday? it’s not even here anymore

• November 21, 2019 at 3:14 pm #260381
      Santiago Morales
      Participant

Hello Sanoma,

I noticed too that some of my post were not getting through.  I will double check with the tech team.

Thank you,

Santiago

• November 21, 2019 at 3:46 pm #260382
      Sanoma Kitchens
      Participant

Please I really feel like I run into brick walls when trying to get anywhere with making this program run properly. V11 functioned much faster than this V12

• November 22, 2019 at 8:53 am #260383
      Santiago Morales
      2020 Expert

Hello Sanoma, your feedback is important to us.

We would need to understand what aspects of Design seem to be running slower in V12.

An agent will contact you shortly to gather additional details.

Thank you,

Santiago

• November 22, 2019 at 9:27 am #260384
      Sanoma Kitchens
      Participant

Several things. In general everything.

•If you open up show 3d shapes on floor and wall plans, the screen just skips around.

•If you open up textures to change a counter color or anything, if you have any cloud items, it freezes my computer

•If you change the texture of a surface it disappears on the floor plan. But in the render it stays, but the original color. Forcing a delete and redraw.

•The screen pixilates on any ISO

•The random shutting down of 2020 when working.

•Autosave doesn’t work.

•The removal of the catalog browser where you can see all the appliances listed. (Now I have to click on each one to see what it looks like)

•Overall it runs choppy.

I have a Ryzen 9 Processor, 2070 super video card, 16 gig of ram, 1TB ssd hard drive. My computer can handle it.

I have had several very good techs help a lot, but it seems to only help temporarily.

• November 24, 2019 at 6:32 pm #260447

Hi Sanoma,

One of my designers is running V12 on pretty much an identical config as yours – admittedly he has 32gb of RAM but a few checks showed that he is nowhere near the 16gb ram limit let alone 32gb. He has had none of the major problems you are describing – the ‘skipping around’, the ‘choppiness’, the random shutting down and so on. In fact, none of my V12 trial users are describing the problems you are having.

Firstly ensure that the graphics drivers being used are the latest NVidia ones.

Secondly, I’d use  Task Manager to keep an eye on your resources as something could be using them up.

Thirdly, try removing any unnecessary software – I usually ensure that our Designer PCs have the absolute minimum of extraneous software. This is usually Win 10 (latest version), 2020 Design, MS Office 2010 or later, a PDF editing program and Dropbox/Google Drive plus some printer drivers. In terms of anti-virus, we use the Microsoft built-in one and an occasional scan with the free version of Malwarebytes Antimalware.

Some of your described issues (no autosave, no catalog browser) may be programming changes that I believe 2020 are considering putting back in.

In general, we are reasonably happy with V12 and from all reports, the renders both standard and highres/panoramic are substantially faster. I will probably roll out to the other designers after the Xmas rush (usually ends in about 2 weeks).

• November 25, 2019 at 8:58 am #260460
      Sanoma Kitchens
      Participant

Mike,

Thank you for suggestions. I do already keep my computer bare bones. A few Pdf programs, Autocad, Office, and a few other task related programs, after working with a tech we did find an issue with the video card driver. Currently I’m doing a process of elimination. I had my own display setttings for my plans. I like to color code my plans as follows: grey=base, white=wall, beige=tall, green=fillers, red=toekick & counter, blue=top molding, magenta=bottom molding. I don’t really add notes in 2020 ( I do find severe limitations in dims and annotations in the design program) I export to publisher and use that a my paper space. I have worked with several good techs, that all have helped me eliminate what its not so far. they have been keeping a log. I am going to put a load to the program today and see if the changes we implemented worked.

• November 25, 2019 at 6:22 pm #260711

Hi Sanoma, this will be interesting because my feedback so far is that Ryzen based systems seem to crash less than Intel ones (opposite of my previous experience!) when used for 2020 Design. I also found that NVidia drivers give less trouble than AMD ones.

• November 27, 2019 at 3:20 pm #260738
      Sanoma Kitchens
      Participant

Hi Mike,

So after pinpointing it down, between 2020 tech support and the guys who built this machine for me it seems like my video card is faulty. It was tricky to figure out because it wasn’t throwing any error messages. I am having another one shipped to me and I will keep you updated. So far this process has been quite tedious, but to 2020 tech supports credit, they have been more than helpful. I’m looking forward to see what this thing can do when running properly.

• November 28, 2019 at 11:00 am #260771
      Neil Wilson
      Participant

Hey Guys,

After asking around we have been given permission to share the registry key that will re-enable the catalog browser.

Please note that playing in the registries is inherently dangerous and you should only do it if you are extremely confident in your abilities to recover from any issues that may arise.

Here is the key:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\2020\Design\12\prf_user]

“EnableWebCatalogBrowser”=dword:00000001

Neil

• November 28, 2019 at 6:06 pm #260852

Excellent – thanks Neil!

Works perfectly.

To make it easy for other people, here is a link that ONLY contains the above entry, download the file, double click it and then accept the following prompts and it will add the entry.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/try2wzi613wgi6f/Enable%20Web%20Catalog%20Browser.reg?dl=0

• December 19, 2019 at 12:55 pm #264131
      Linda Mandeville
      Participant

I can not get the openings and obstacles items to function.  I get all the way to the point of selecting the door or opening I want to add, then the screen blinks and takes me back to the selection screen.  I tried contacting support, but I keep getting a message that no one is available to talk.

• December 19, 2019 at 1:02 pm #264132
      Neil Wilson
      Participant

Hi Linda,

It sounds like you might just need to close and reopen 2020 or maybe reset the registries.  If you are having issues getting through with the live chat please give us a call at 1-866-697-2020.  The phone line is always the best way to contact our support team.

Thank you

Neil

• February 14, 2020 at 10:25 am #267251
      Ali Layik
      Participant

Hello,

I’ve upgraded to V12 but Assistant does not work anymore. It seems to be disabled. How can i get this to work?

Attachments:
    • February 14, 2020 at 1:49 pm #267302
      Santiago Morales
      2020 Expert

Hello,

This buttons provides access to Assistants settings.

The basic installation of 2020 Design use to provide access to the NKBA assistant which is not available yet in the V12 version.

The NKBA assistant is still under consideration to be reintegrated into an eventual version.

Thank you,

Santiago
      2020 Design Product Manager

• February 18, 2020 at 4:33 pm #269383

Hey guys – is anyone else having issues with countertop textures? Specifically, the sizing of a User Texture? For example, I add a User Texture of a picture of a slab of quartz (I do it this way because I’ve ALWAYS had issues with the Countertop Wizard – which is a whole other conversation! And some of the brands I use don’t have catalogs), which I then edit for size, texture, finish, etc. In version 11, this showed a scaled version of a complete slab. In version 12, it seems to be showing me a small section of the picture, blown way out of scale so that it looks fuzzy and shows no detail. Take a look at the attached for a better explanation – the material photo is what I used in 2020, scaled to 126″ wide, but the rendering is what I end up with. I’ve tried different methods to fix this, but I still get the same result. Suggestions?

Thanks!

Michelle

• February 25, 2020 at 2:27 pm #270209
      Torrance
      Participant

Hello Michelle,

In my experience, the best results are achieved when I make my swatch(image) size similar to the size that 2020 uses in their texture images.  This version of 2020 seems to handle the size, repeat, and resolution better than previous versions.  I normally make my image I am importing 256px square.  When using a wood grain pattern, I use Photoshop to make it seamless before importing. So in short, you should not have to adjust the size once imported. I imported your texture into my library, and applied it to a top in one of our drawings. The first image shows your image as saved from your original post.  The second image shows me resizing and cropping the image to 256px square.  I don’t get nothing close to what you are getting. Hopefully this helps.

• May 13, 2020 at 5:35 pm #281976
      David Musacchio
      Participant

Why does the placement box only have 4 directions (front, back, left, right) to place cabinets?  The older version had the option to place cabinets at 45 degree angles as well.  Is there a box I’m not finding that I can click to get that back, or was that feature removed?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.