2020 Crash on Save

• May 4, 2018 at 12:23 pm #185247
      Kerry Fullington
      Participant

This morning I had 2020 (Vers. 11.9.0) crash while saving a job.

I now get the attached error message when I try to open the job.

There was no .BAK file created.

Is there any way to save this job?

Attachments:
    • May 8, 2018 at 5:01 pm #185528
      Neil Wilson
      Participant

Hi Kerry,

Sorry for the delayed response.  Normally I get an alert for a post.  Unfortunately there is no way to recover the file from that error.  If the .bak is not present I’m afraid it will need to be redrawn.

Neil

• May 10, 2018 at 12:04 pm #186385
      Kerry Fullington
      Participant

Thanks Neil,

I did re-draw that job but I just had the same error on another job.

This time there was a .bak file created but I get the same error when trying to open the .kit file or the .bak file.

Any idea what causes this or how to prevent it.

I do incremental saves but you can still lose a lot of work with an error like this.

• May 10, 2018 at 5:22 pm #186621
      Neil Wilson
      Participant

Hi Kerry,

The T_EVENT_ATTACH error is caused by a corrupted item in the design.  How and why the item got corrupted or which item it is is kinda up in the air.  I could be caused by 2020 being in a low memory state when the file was saved, it could a bad shape in the catalog etc..

Neil

• May 11, 2018 at 10:19 am #186667
      Kerry Fullington
      Participant

Thanks Neil,

This happens when I dress up the job for presentation so I am adding lots of cloud items and I do get frequent out of memory errors. I have 16GB system RAM but I think it is graphics card memory as it seems to happen on renders. (NVidia GTX 960 card)

This didn’t happen until 11.9 but maybe I wasn’t doing the same thing in previous versions. Hard to tell.

• May 11, 2018 at 1:21 pm #186728
      Curt Hayos
      Participant

We’ve also had numerous crashes that ended up usually with corrupted designs AND bak files both showing 0 kb’s. In case it helps we are usually using an Omega 82 catalog, specifically OFA82A

• May 11, 2018 at 2:35 pm #186747
      Kerry Fullington
      Participant

Curt,

The first job I mentioned in this thread was also Omega Full Access. I didn’t seem to have problems with just the manufacturer’s catalog but when I started adding appliances and decoration from the Cloud is when I start getting in trouble.

Attachments:
    • May 11, 2018 at 3:00 pm #186807
      Curt Hayos
      Participant

Kerry, we usually stay away from the cloud and sketchup items as we can’t afford to monkey with crashes. If 2020 ever moves to 64bit, to handle memory better, we’ll try the eye candy again. We were running v11.4 and had numerous crashes with OFA81 so moved to 11.9 and OFA82. But we’re still having problems. In the 8 series catalogs, Omega added higher res textures to improve rendering quality and my guess is there’s a problem in there but we wouldn’t know how to figure out what it is.

• May 11, 2018 at 3:02 pm #186808
      Neil Wilson
      Participant

WoW!  Nice renders Kerry!

So guys, it is extremely unlikely that the issue with memory is in any way related to the catalog.  The issue stems from the fact that 2020 is a 32 bit software.  Because of this Windows will only ever assign 2020 a maximum amount of around 2.5gb of Memory to work with.  When that allotment of memory gets full the software starts to behave erratically and can cause issues like the errors mentioned previously.  Limiting the size of the design files, the number of cloud and/or sketchup items in the design and the size and number of user textures in the file will all help reduce the memory used by the software.  Also something as simple as saving the design and closing and reopening the program to clear the memory cache will also help.  That’s the bad news.

The good news is that there is a 64 bit version of the software in the works and we should have it out by the end of the year.  Once the software goes 64 bit it will remove the memory restrictions and it should have a tremendous impact on the stability and performance of the program.

Neil

• May 11, 2018 at 3:06 pm #186809
      Neil Wilson
      Participant

Damn you Curt! 🙂 I was typing that up when you brought up the 64 bit version and stole my thunder. 🙂

Neil

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.