Computer Upgrade Advice

• December 14, 2017 at 12:58 pm #164043
      HJames Relyea
      Participant

Hello,

Our company is looking into upgrading our designers computers. Currently we are experiencing rendering times of between 10-35 minutes depending on the detail of the kitchen. If we were to use the Recommended hardware specs (including SSD’s) posted on 2020spaces.com. How much of an improved render time would we potentially see? (current specs attached)

Attachments:
    • December 14, 2017 at 6:27 pm #164078

IMHO 2020 seems all about the processor speed. I would aim most of your money towards buying the very fastest i5 or i7 processor you can afford. A dedicated gpu is a sensible choice but 2020 really doesn’t seem to (at the moment) use the power of the GPU – I see only 3-5% difference between low spec and VERY high spec Nvidia adapters. SSDs are nice but not essential and only speed up program and drawing load and save times.

Also, after some recent testing, I’d rather get a fast i5 than a slower i7.

My minimum spec recommendation would be as follows:

i5-8600K (i7-8600K preferred) Processor
      GTX1050 (1080 preferreed) GPU
      8GB of RAM
      128GB SSD Primary and 1TB HD Secondary

Stay away from AMD stuff – poor performance and problematic drivers on the graphics.

Also and I can’t recommend this highly enough – do a time test between the same design on one of your existing computers and then on a machine of similar specification to the one you are considering. The results might surprise you.

• December 15, 2017 at 10:07 am #164119
      HJames Relyea
      Participant

Thanks for the honest advice Mike! We’re going to test one against our current machines and see what kind of improvement we end up with.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.