Custom Openings Option?

• March 25, 2019 at 10:15 am #230900
      Kullen Biller
      Participant

Hello, I was curious to know if there was a way to create a custom opening or passthrough in a wall? In a design I’m working on I have a vaulted ceiling in one room but then steps down into another room that also has a vaulted ceiling but the two vaults are different heights. I used the “Cathedral Top Wall w/Ceiling Exp.” for one rooms vault and I could change the wall heights in the second room to make the vault but I would need to create a custom opening between the two rooms to connect the two. I’m open to any other options too if anyone has any suggestions. Thank you

• March 25, 2019 at 10:43 am #230912
      Neil Wilson
      Participant

Hey Kullen,

I’m not sure exactly what you would need but you can build pretty complex passthroughs by combining the shapes from our openings and obstacles\wall-cutouts and playing with their attributes.

Neil

• November 24, 2019 at 10:36 am #260426
        Ron Russell
        Participant

Would a construction line work between the rooms, instead of a wall?

• March 25, 2019 at 2:57 pm #230946
      Kullen Biller
      Participant

I’ve messed around with the openings and obstacles/wall cutouts and was not able to make what I’m looking for. Is it just me or is there no Triangle cutout/passthrough? I haven’t seen one anywhere, that’s really what I need. Basically I need to make a rectangular opening with a triangle on top of it to match the vault.

• March 27, 2019 at 5:16 pm #231240
      Neil Wilson
      Participant

Hey Kullen,

The only thing I could come up with for a triangular opening was to use a triangular window on top of the rectangular passthrough.  It looks pretty good in hidden line but not so much in texture.

There are unfortunately no triangular pass-throughs in 2020.  I’ll point that out to our product manager.  🙂

Neil

• March 27, 2019 at 6:43 pm #231241
      Ariana Thompson
      Participant

You could also put in a standard door opening with no frame – then fill in the two upper corners of the doorway with custom shape triangles…..

• March 27, 2019 at 6:53 pm #231242
      Ariana Thompson
      Participant

Like this…..   in one I coloured the triangles so they stand out.

In the other image they are coloured to match the wall….

• March 27, 2019 at 7:12 pm #231243
      Ariana Thompson
      Participant

<p style=”box-sizing: border-box; margin: 0px 0px 1.313em; color: #7e8083; font-family: Lato, sans-serif; font-size: 14.85px;”>Like this…..   in one I coloured the triangles so they stand out.</p>
      <p style=”box-sizing: border-box; margin: 0px 0px 1.313em; color: #7e8083; font-family: Lato, sans-serif; font-size: 14.85px;”>In the other image they are coloured to match the wall….</p>

Attachments:
    • March 28, 2019 at 9:48 am #231340
      Neil Wilson
      Participant

That’s Brilliant!  Thanks Ariana.

Neil

• March 28, 2019 at 10:33 am #231344
      Ariana Thompson
      Participant

No problem, Neil  😉

Don’t know why that was a weird double post from me……  oh computers!

• March 28, 2019 at 10:35 am #231345
      Kullen Biller
      Participant

Thank you all for the help and suggestions. I found another way around it for what I needed. this homeowner wanted to add beams to his vaulted ceiling so once I figured out the dimensions and needed for those I just made a beam the width of a wall and then made it really tall and matched the color to the wall to fill in the space between the two different vault planes.

• March 28, 2019 at 10:59 am #231356
      Ariana Thompson
      Participant

Beautiful!

• November 25, 2019 at 9:50 am #260494
      Neil Wilson
      Participant

@Ron

I don’t know why your post got moved to the middle of the train Ron but depending on what you are trying to accomplish a construction line could work.  A construction line is basically a transparent wall.

Neil

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.