Hazy Renderings

• February 12, 2016 at 10:38 am #73325
      James Barr
      Participant

I just got a new computer setup with much better specs than previous. My designs render much faster than before but the finished rendering seems hazy and lacks sharpness and definition. Wondering if it has to do with my graphics card, a GeForce GTX 960, not being on Redways list yet but it is certainly faster than most of the card on there.  Although I did see that another user, Jordyn P, has the same card. Is this a problem that anyone else has had?

• February 12, 2016 at 11:03 am #73326
      Jordyn P
      Pilot Pro

Hi James! How much memory do you have on your computer?

• February 12, 2016 at 11:05 am #73328
      James Barr
      Participant

Right now I have 8 GB.

• February 12, 2016 at 11:08 am #73329
      Jordyn P
      Pilot Pro

I would upgrade your memory to at least 16, higher if you can. That might help. My renderings are sharper than before I upgraded my memory and graphics card, however they are not 100% yet.

• February 12, 2016 at 11:20 am #73331
      James Barr
      Participant

I can look into doing that. Just confusing that my previous set up which was an AMD Fx-6100 3.3 GHz, Radeon HD 7700, 8 GB ram, would make sharper renders but would take probably 5 times as long. Just for stating my current setup is now i7- 6700 @ 3.4, the GTX-960 , and 8 GB.

• February 12, 2016 at 11:26 am #73333
      Jordyn P
      Pilot Pro

The 960 is competent, but a few people have said that it would have been better to get the GTX-970 instead.

• February 12, 2016 at 4:25 pm #73335
      Neil Wilson
      Participant

Hi Guys,

The 960 is a good card but currently the redway rendering engine does not recognise it.  This means that a lot of the rendering functions that would normally be handled by the card get soft rendered instead.  That could definitely lead to Hazy renders.

Neil

• February 12, 2016 at 4:30 pm #73337
      James Barr
      Participant

Hey Neil,

Thanks for the input. I was thinking that may have alot to do with it. Redway definitely needs to update the last supported driver is about a year old so its time. Hopefully its soon.

James

• February 12, 2016 at 4:52 pm #73340
      Jordyn P
      Pilot Pro

Hi Neil!

I emailed Redway and this is what they told me (even though it doesn’t make much sense):
      Dear Ms Pennyfeather,

This card is already supported by all REDsdk versions. It does not appear in our list because we have no driver recommendation for it, but this don’t mean that it’s not supported.

Regards,

Renaud Deparis,
      REDWAY3D.

• February 14, 2016 at 8:10 pm #73692

Hmmm, I saw no difference in renders between 8GB and 16GB of RAM. The i7 definitely dumps soft brown stuff over even the best AMD.

Surprisingly, the Surface tablet had one of the best render speeds I’ve seen. Wonder if Microsoft slow things down on non-Microsoft PCs or am I just being cynical.

• February 18, 2016 at 1:28 pm #74977
      James Barr
      Participant

Hey Jordyn,

One other question since I know you have a similar setup. But it would be best to show a picture of difference. Am I missing something one how to load a picture on here?

• February 18, 2016 at 2:00 pm #74980
      Jordyn P
      Pilot Pro

James, I’ve yet to find a way to upload pictures. I tried using the function provided but it never worked for me. Sorry!

• February 18, 2016 at 2:06 pm #74982
      James Barr
      Participant

I will try to explain then. It is similar to the things we have been talking. The preloaded textures such as wood floors or wall paneling all appear pixelated and blurred even in the preview window when selecting. But I can load a custom texture and it looks just fine.

• February 23, 2016 at 10:27 am #75688
      James Barr
      Participant

Just to update everyone. After spending over an hour with 2020 tech support and them giving me the conclusion that it was windows 10 and nvidia’s drivers, I spent some time looking around the preferences and found a box for shape display quality that was set to draft from install. Changing that to best fixed all problems. My renderings look like night and day now. Thanks for everyones input!

• August 14, 2016 at 2:00 pm #98118
      Bill Hart, AKBD
      Participant

Hey James… so where was this box?

• August 14, 2016 at 8:29 pm #98119

Preferences, Rendering Performance, Shapes (in the midddle), Shape display quality

Set to Draft, Best or Normal depending on your graphics card/required rendering speed.

See attached screen capture

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.