Laptop Recommendations

• July 16, 2016 at 12:19 pm #95460

I need to purchase a new laptop to run 2020. I’m looking for top performance, mobility, and something that can run other business functions as well. This is my primary business computer. There are so many options on the market, and I don’t know where to start. Please help!

• July 17, 2016 at 8:32 pm #95574

Do NOT buy anything other than an Intel i7 based laptop. Other than this, it should have 8GB of RAM, a dedicated 2GB Nivdia or Radeon Graphics Card and preferably a Solid State Disk or 1TB Hard Disk. This specification is pretty easy to find from all the major manufacturers and in Australia, such a machine (with a normal hard disk, not an SSD) retails around AU$1,000.

For this price you will get an i7-6500U processor which runs at 2.5GHz and bursts to 3.1GHz.

The next step up is a BIG jump in price to get something like a Dell Alienware with i7-6500HQ (up to 3.5GHz) – 16GB RAM, SSD will cost US$1,700. If you do not mind spending more then spend US$2,600 to get a 4.1GHz model that really is the ultimate in speed.

http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/productdetails/alienware-17-r3?ref=108_recs_img&c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

I run a Toshiba notebook with i7-6500U, 16GB RAM, Radeon 2GB Graphics with an upgrade to 512GB SSD and my original 1TB hard disk is now my secondary storage drive instead of my DVD. The 17″ screen is handy when I am onsite but I mainly work off a 24″ monitor. This is great for normal drawing work but I could really do with a bit more speed for Panoramic 360 renders.

• July 18, 2016 at 3:25 pm #95780
      AllSouth
      Participant

I agree with Mike Langensiepen.

I would add that the Dell systems can have rendering glitches for more detailed design perspectives and textures.

I have HP Pavilion i5 laptop with Windows7 from years back that is still handling 2020_v10.5 and all my Office software.  It actually works a bit better that the Dell office computer.  I look for any gaming setup with 17″ screen or capability to split screen.  Any increased dedicated processors are great.  CNET & Computer Shopper are good sources for reviews, etc.

• July 18, 2016 at 9:22 pm #95844

The Dell issues are down to the customised Windows version and customised drivers they install (plus bloatware) and I have had similar issues with customised HP, Asus and Toshiba versions in the past. If you want a speedy, reliable machine, get a local IT person to put a clean ‘unbranded’ version of Windows on and install only the approved Microsoft drivers for the graphics etc.

I now routinely erase any notebooks we buy and do this and I have a lot less trouble.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.