Lighting Issues

• March 19, 2024 at 9:33 pm #437715
      Melina Murphy
      Participant

Can anyone speak to lighting differences now that lighting is in the Cloud. For some reason, it’s not actually light-ing. The intensity isn’t showing. Do you have to insert puck lights into each one of the cloud lights? I can’t seem to find the recess lighting.

Also when I go to the 3D render – the ceiling light option isn’t showing. Any advice is appreciated.

Attachments:
    • March 20, 2024 at 9:03 am #437736
      Drew Irving
      Participant

Hello Melina,

Your are correct, the lighting in the cloud is purely decorative and doesn’t actually serve as a light source. That goes for appliance lighting as well, such as from hoods and such. 2020 has said they’re working on it, but it’s been like that through several updates now, so I don’t imagine there will be a solution any time soon. Your solution of using the local catalog puck lights inside the cloud lights is the best workaround I’ve found so far.

Additionally, note that the lighting from the Lighting Wizard still works as intended, so in particularly dark designs, I’ll often add undercabinet and/or interior lighting using the Sensio or another Lighting Wizard catalog, to increase the overall illumination of a design.

It’s worth noting as well that the options we used to have for lighting details (Color, intensity, shape of cone, etc.) have largely been removed, which is a real pain.

As for the ceiling light- Which rendering engine are you using? In the more recent versions, the default rendering engine is EZ Render, which is much more limited that the previous Redway 3D. If you go into file/preferences/rendering, you can switch it back to Redway3D, and it’ll work like it used to, including the ceiling light and sun position options (And work much better, in my opinion). You may have to restart 2020 after changing that setting for it to take effect.

Hope that at least answered some questions for you, even if I couldn’t offer a good fix for the lighting issue.

• March 20, 2024 at 10:54 am #437737
      Melina Murphy
      Participant

This is super helpful! Thank you

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.