Magic plan

• March 29, 2016 at 3:36 pm #81514
      Chris Setlock
      Participant

Hi!

I’ve been using Magic Plan to take site measurements, and using the import feature in 2020 design.  One issue I’m encountering:  Door and window details do not carry over from Magic Plan to 2020.  ie, if I take the time to specify that it’s a hung window, or  a patio door, while working in magic plan,  what imports is a sliding window or a generic interior door.  Is there ongoing support for the integration between these two applications?

I’ve been using a bluetooth enabled leica disto to check the accuracy of my plans, and it’s greatly sped up my time on the jobsite.  I think this will really catch on if more designers are made aware of the possibilities.

• March 29, 2016 at 10:07 pm #81528
      Edith
      Participant

Hi Chris
      thanks a lot for sharing your feedback.
      Can you tell me what version of 2020 are you using so I can attempt to replicate the issue that you have encountered with the windows and doors.

I appreciate it!

Edith

• March 30, 2016 at 4:10 pm #81699
        Edith
        Participant

Hi Chris

I have verified the export and you are correct. At this moment only a reduce type of doors and windows is available.
        We will be revising if an update to the current export from Magic Plan is possible in the short future.

Your feedback is valuable, it allow us to improve!

Edith

• March 29, 2016 at 11:40 pm #81529

Edith, I have been trying to get information on the XML import format for ages. We have been working with a local software company to use a Leica Scanstation to scan an entire room without all the hassle of point to point measurements (Disto).

The potential for this is enormous but your management do not seem to see that and I have stalled at every avenue. Our problem is similar to the above in that we are unable to specify specific door and window types in the scan and have them transfer automatically into 2020 Design. The walls come in OK including the wall angles.

I have tried Jason Burcheri, Paolo Colitto, Jean Abou-Chaker and I get various promises about help and co-operation then it all dies away and I get no further response to my emails.

Is there NOBODY in your company that has an in-depth knowledge of the intrinsics of 2020 Design or is willing to give us an idea of the approximate cost for a customisation of the existing XML import?

• March 30, 2016 at 9:06 am #81531
      Chris Setlock
      Participant

Hi Edith,

I’m using 2020 v11.4, and the latest version of MagicPlan on an iPhone 6s.  In MagicPlan, it allows me to choose what door or window type, and enter various properties such as height and distance from the floor.  This information does not seem to transfer, though.

Mike, I read your post a couple months back.  I’m a big fan of anything that increases my speed or accuracy, but isn’t a Leica Scanstation a $10,000 investment?  I bought my Leica Disto for $150, and I’m running MagicPlan on the iPhone I own anyway.  I’m considering splurging for an iPad, but that’s about as far as I’ll go to replace graph paper and a tape measure.

At my previous job I was the kitchen and bath designer for a stone fabricator.  I had access to the LT55 that we used for templating countertops.  That was nice and fast, and very accurate, but had no way to import information into 2020.  Although I miss it, I would never dream of spending 10-15k for one of those.

• March 31, 2016 at 2:08 am #81734

Hi Chris,

Yes it is a substantial investment but my main client has 24 Designers, 5 branches, 2 CNC machines for doors and carcases, 2 edgebanders, 2 large saws, 2 CNC stone routers, a waterjet, a glass plant (cutting, washing, painting and tempering) for splashbacks and they currently use 2 seats of camera eTemplate and 1 of Disto eTemplate so they aren’t afraid of investment if it makes life easier!

That said, the Designers are still going out and doing measurements with a laser, tape measure and angle finder and still making too many mistakes when doing so.

The conversion software would work on a manual Disto as well as the Scanstation so no real hassles. Point Cloud conversion is the future and many people are working on different Point Cloud technologies. I saw an interesting one from a University that involved throwing out 5 microphones into a room and a clap of the hand gave you an accurate set of Point Cloud room measurements to within 1/10th of a mm!

• March 31, 2016 at 9:36 am #81744
      Chris Setlock
      Participant

Hi Edith,

Thanks for looking into this.  I have some new information.  I used MagicPlan to measure a kitchen on Monday, and have been working on it this week.  There seems to be some bug in the imported windows that really chokes the rendering engine.  I tried to generate renderings last night, and I left it running while I worked on other things.  After nearly an hour, it was only at 3% completion.  Once I delete the imported windows, it functions normally.

I had just upgraded to 2020 v11.4.1, and installed the latest drivers for my video card, so that’s not the culprit.

Granted, I can just delete the imported windows, and place new ones, but that mostly defeats the purpose of importing the MagicPlan file.

• March 31, 2016 at 9:38 am #81753
      Chris Setlock
      Participant

That sounds great, Mike.  Just not viable for a company of our size.

• March 31, 2016 at 9:39 am #81754
      Edith
      Participant

Hello Chris

I will be more than happy to test it.
      Please send me the plan at residentialsupport@2020spaces.com

Regards

• March 31, 2016 at 10:23 pm #81797

Chris, like everything technology just keeps on getting cheaper. Project Tango from Google aims to do the same thing using a mobile phone, the audio one I mentioned above is unlikely to need expensive hardware and there are plenty of other laser systems on the market – usually point to point.

It might take a few years but I can see us having access to a device that will scan a room cheaply, accurately and easily in not too long a time.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.