Mobile Application

• August 10, 2016 at 8:58 am #97717
      Micah Eckenfels
      Participant

I think a mobile version of 2020 Design would be extremely useful in the field.  I find that when I take field measurements,  I come back to the office with a paper that is glutted with dimensions and sometimes lacks a critical dimension.   I also use KCD Software for designing fully custom cabinets.   KCD offers a mobile version that allows you to draw and add project photos and notes.  I think a similar version would be great for 2020 Design.

• August 11, 2016 at 12:37 am #98025

MagicPlan on a mobile or Tablet fulfills a lot of what you want and transfers measurements to 2020 Design. However, I recently bought a cheap Chinese (Chuwi) Windows 10 Tablet and it runs Design V11 with no issues albeit slow renders. The tablet has a 12″ 2K screen, 4GB of RAM and cost me under $300.

You can pick up other Windows Tablets or 2 in 1 devices so cheaply now (around $300) not sure why you would bother with an iPad or whatever. Technology has moved on.

Use a Windows device in the field and save to a Cloud Drive. You can even begin the design if you want. When you are back in the office, shift your 2020 key to your (faster) office computer and load up the 2020 file off your cloud drive and work on it.

I’m afraid I can’t really see much advantage to an Android/IOS crippled version of the software. 2020 are even talking about moving towards cloud based licensing so in a while you may not even have to carry the USB security dongle.

Another advantage of the Windows tablet is that it can interface with such items as Bluetooth enabled Laser Tapes and has it’s own camera.

Come to that, why not dump the office computer altogether and take a Windows Surface Pro i7 onsite – it renders VERY well and is a superb bit of kit. It also happily connects to a full size screen/keyboard/mouse in the office. Win/Win.

• August 12, 2016 at 1:21 pm #98105
      Chris Setlock
      Participant

I use Magic Plan on my iPad pro, and I have a bluetooth Leica Disto paired with it.  Although I have run into some issues concerning windows and doors, it’s been a great time saver.  I can measure a kitchen in 10-15 minutes, with all the detail I could need.

Importing the floorplan into 2020 is quick and easy, too.  I take a lot of pictures, which helps, too.  Although magic plan allows me to specify the type of window or door, that does not transfer to 2020, so I usually have to delete and re-add them.  An annoyance, but a minor one.

• August 12, 2016 at 9:14 pm #98117

We actually tried for over a year to get 2020 to quote us on a COMPLETE import routine that would allow us to import a floorplan complete with specific windows, doors, outlets, switches, fans, aircons, even tile lines but nobody at 2020 ever came back to us and we eventually gave up.

We already use a Leica Disto 3D and would love to use a Scanstation (one button room scan that produces millions of point measurements) but if 2020 will not import the info we need then what is the point?

For now, most of my designers use a basic laser tape and fill in a measurement form. Some use a Notebook or Windows Tablet with Bluetooth connected laser tape.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.