Restricted User issue with Version 11.5.2.11

• September 7, 2016 at 4:17 pm #100250
      Larry
      Participant

Hello,

I rolled out the latest and greatest Design version throughout my stores and all seemed well, besides a couple small issues(Random system hangs and manufacture product renderings not correct), but I’ve found a major issue for me, the Maintenance Tools ‘2020 Design Registry Reset’ no longer works?!

My users are utilizing the Windows ‘Standard User’ profiles but I’ve had it this way for prior versions and didn’t have the issue. When I run the executable it says it’s been reset but it really doesn’t do anything.

I need to use this feature quite often due to the programs notorious issues or user customizations that get out of control so I need to get this working. I contacted support and was provided a document from 2008 that states the permissions to give the program directory folder and registry keys but I’ve done this but to no avail. Is there updated documentation or a tech/developer that can assist?

Thanks in advance,
      Larry

• September 7, 2016 at 5:01 pm #100254
      Neil Wilson
      Participant

Hi Larry,

Have you tried just right clicking on the maintenance tools Icon and selecting run as administrator? I’m not sure it’ll work but it’s worth a try. 🙂  You can also try going in to the C:\Program Files (x86)\20-20 Technologies\Design\Bin\System folder and setting the compatibility on the maintenance tools application to Run as Admin.

Neil

• September 7, 2016 at 9:28 pm #100255

On my system, regreset.exe was absent completely – it might be that Avira had detected regreset.exe as virus infected (it also did this for most of my Design versions) – Neil please take note.

I found the file on my V11.5.1 Virtual machine and used that. It works fine although I probably have it in the wrong location as it still won’t run from the menu. I have to run it manually.

In case this helps, I’ve uploaded it here:

http://www.ipprofessional.com.au/files/RegReset.ex1

Download it and change the name to RegReset.exe and run as administrator. This is at your own risk but it worked for me.

• September 8, 2016 at 11:02 am #100332
      Larry
      Participant

I Thank both of you gentleman very much for your prompt responses and input. I’ll address responses in order.

Neil,

If I simply try right clicking and Run as Administrator the Maintenance Tools window swiftly crashes saying that it has stopped working:

Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
      Problem Signature 01: MaintenanceTools.exe
      Problem Signature 02: 11.5.2.11
      Problem Signature 03: 57aa4ad0
      Problem Signature 04: mscorlib
      Problem Signature 05: 4.6.1076.0
      Problem Signature 06: 56d79fa2
      Problem Signature 07: 157f
      Problem Signature 08: 12e
      Problem Signature 09: N3CTRYE2KN3C34SGL4ZQYRBFTE4M13NB
      OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
      Locale ID: 1033
      Additional Information 1: 0a9e
      Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
      Additional Information 3: 0a9e
      Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Two application events are then logged to the system:

Log Name: Application
      Source: .NET Runtime
      Event ID: 1026

Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
      Exception Info: System.UnauthorizedAccessException
      at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32, System.String)
      at System.IO.FileSystemEnumerableIterator`1[[System.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]].AddSearchableDirsToStack(SearchData)
      at System.IO.FileSystemEnumerableIterator`1[[System.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]].MoveNext()
      at System.Collections.Generic.List1[[System.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]]..ctor(System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable1<System.__Canon>)
      at System.IO.DirectoryInfo.InternalGetFileSystemInfos(System.String, System.IO.SearchOption)
      at System.IO.DirectoryInfo.GetFileSystemInfos(System.String, System.IO.SearchOption)
      at MaintenanceTools.MainWindow.<InitTempFiles>b__0(System.Object, System.ComponentModel.DoWorkEventArgs)
      at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.OnDoWork(System.ComponentModel.DoWorkEventArgs)
      at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.WorkerThreadStart(System.Object)

Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
      Exception Info: System.UnauthorizedAccessException
      at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32, System.String)
      at System.IO.FileSystemEnumerableIterator`1[[System.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]].AddSearchableDirsToStack(SearchData)
      at System.IO.FileSystemEnumerableIterator`1[[System.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]].MoveNext()
      at System.Collections.Generic.List1[[System.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]]..ctor(System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable1<System.__Canon>)
      at System.IO.DirectoryInfo.InternalGetFileSystemInfos(System.String, System.IO.SearchOption)
      at System.IO.DirectoryInfo.GetFileSystemInfos(System.String, System.IO.SearchOption)
      at MaintenanceTools.MainWindow.<InitTempFiles>b__0(System.Object, System.ComponentModel.DoWorkEventArgs)
      at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.OnDoWork(System.ComponentModel.DoWorkEventArgs)
      at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.WorkerThreadStart(System.Object)

Application Error:
      Event ID: 1000

Faulting application name: MaintenanceTools.exe, version: 11.5.2.11, time stamp: 0x57aa4ad0
      Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.1.7601.23455, time stamp: 0x573a5509
      Exception code: 0xe0434352
      Fault offset: 0x0000c54f
      Faulting process id: 0x1550
      Faulting application start time: 0x01d209dae99f3f13
      Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\20-20 Technologies\Design\Bin\System\MaintenanceTools.exe
      Faulting module path: C:\Windows\syswow64\KERNELBASE.dll
      Report Id: 27d37863-75ce-11e6-be0b-f8b156b1b38d

If I run the Maintenance Tools by holding shift and right clicking and using the Run as a different user and supply local admin credentials it will launch the Tools window, but still, the registry reset doesn’t work. i’ve tried both the the start menu shortcut and the executable living in the C:\Program Files (x86)\20-20 Technologies\Design\Bin\System directory.

I have found that if I use the run as a different user supplying admin credentials on the RegReset executable this works. There’s some sort of issue with permissions when using it in the maintnenace tools that doesn’t allow it to work. I just wish I knew where and what permissions to provide to get everything working.

To also make note, there’s some differences between Windows 10 Pro and Windows 7 Pro, the Windows 10 tools seems to work beautifully but not Win 7 clients..

Mike,

Thank you very much as I have found running the RegReset executable as a different user with administrator privledges it works! I did have this file after the installs and it lives in the: C:\Program Files (x86)\20-20 Technologies\Design\Bin\System directory

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.