Sketchup 3D Warehouse Browser

• June 13, 2019 at 9:53 am #240900
      Kirstyn Weld
      Participant

The SketchUp 3D Warehouse Browser integrated into 2020 is no longer compatible with the SketchUp 3D Warehouse.

I saw in an article from Feb. that there is a new verison of 2020 Design in the works and one of the perks is that it will work with the new catalogs from the SketchUp 3D Warehouse.

However, in the mean time, is there a way to patch the program (or a way for me to do it myself) so that the SketchUp 3D Warehouse is at least accessible? Currently when I click on the “SketchUp” button it just tells me that my browser is incompatible and doesn’t let me do anything.

Attachments:
    • June 13, 2019 at 12:26 pm #240956
      Stefanie Zanow
      Participant

I’m wondering the same thing!!!

• June 13, 2019 at 12:57 pm #240957
      Neil Wilson
      Participant

Hey Guys,

Sketchup has made further changes on their website so the warehouse URL in 2020 is no longer valid.

Sketchup implemented the changes today.

The only way to get Sketchup Items into 2020 right now is to download the .skp file to your computer directly from their 3D warehouse and then use the Import feature to bring it into your design.

Neil

• June 13, 2019 at 2:12 pm #241006
      Kirstyn Weld
      Participant

Thanks for the response Neil! Can you clarify how to do what they are saying? The only place I see an “Import” option is under Items>Import but the only things it shows there are “2020 Cloud” and “SketchUp” (the latter of which is not working, hence this whole conversation.)

Can you either tell me how to import shapes or point me to a tutorial that does? Thank you!

• June 13, 2019 at 2:41 pm #241007
      Neil Wilson
      Participant

Hi Kirstyn,

First you need to go to the Sketchup website ( Sketchup Warehouse ) download a compatible item.  There are not a lot of those right now since Sketchup changed it’s hosting policy. 🙁

Once you have the .skp (sketchup) file saved on your computer you need to go to the File menu in 2020 and then select Import, from local storage, browse to the file, and then click on open.  If it’s a valid file (from 2014 -16) it should allow you to click on the floorplan to place it.  If it’s not a valid file you will get a message that says just that.

There are some pics attached to show you where the menus are.

Hope that helps.

Neil

• June 13, 2019 at 8:02 pm #241039

Hi Kirstyn,

Trimble who own the Sketchup Warehouse have removed a lot of the older 2016 and earlier models from download capability – presumably to save space.

The best workaround is to get the free copy of Sketchup and install it. Download and open the item you want then do a Save As and choose 2016 version. Then use the procedure given by Neil to bring the object in.

It is probably worth learning a little bit about Sketchup as there are a few things you can do to fix issues that prevent Sketchup models from being imported into 2020 such as lack of a surface texture and so on.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.