Tablet for viewing 360 panoramas and using MagicPlan

• March 18, 2018 at 12:24 pm #176941
      Jan Farr
      Participant

I have tried to view 360 panoramas on two different Android phones (my boss’s and mine), and on each of these I cannot get the panoramic action.  The image moves up and down fine, but not side to side around the room.   I have looked at more than one 360 view, some from the gallery, and all with the same results.

This being said, I am need a device that will allow me to use MagicPlan and my phone (LG Premier) does not.

I don’t really want to buy a new phone, and I think a tablet perhaps will be better suited anyway, for presenting the 360 views.   I’m not an Apple user, so if possible I would like to stay with Android.

Is there a tablet that you can recommend that will provide a reasonable and cost efficient solution for both these issues?

Thanks,

• March 19, 2018 at 9:54 am #176955
      AllSouth
      Participant

Likewise,  Any ANDROID devices and tablets to run apps for use with 2020Design.

HP or SAMSUNG… ? any experiences out there.

LynneMcW

• March 19, 2018 at 2:21 pm #177027
      Chris Setlock
      Participant

I use MagicPlan on every job.  I have an iPhone and an iPad pro.  By itself, MagicPlan isnt nearly accurate enough, but  I pair it with a bluetooth enabled Leica Disto laser and get good results.  Some objects (windows and doors) don’t import correctly, so it’s not perfect, but it’s a big time saver.

I’m interested in your experiences running it on Android.  MagicPlan recently switched to an augmented reality system, and I think they focused development on apple devices.

I understand that 2020 is now collaborating with Laser Products.  They make the tripod lasers that stone fabricators use to template for countertops.  Since the LT laser devices are in the $15k range, that’s not likely to be in my budget anytime soon.

I’d be willing to invest in the “structure” system, though.  That’s an add-on laser scanner for iPad that’s only about $400.

• March 25, 2018 at 7:23 pm #178763

Hi Jan,

Make sure that the phone or tablet you are using has an eGyro built in – many (including my Android phone and expensive Lenovo tablet) do not. The panoramic will move up and down because 99% of the Android devices have gravity sensing even if they do not have an eGyro – it is the eGyro that allows for the side to side movement.

iPads are a great option as they have all the features.

Re MagicPlan, we have tried this, we have tried eLaser and even worked with a software company to try and get Leica Distos and full room scanners  (Leica Scanstation) working. MagicPlan isn’t accurate enough without manual co-odinate entry and until 2020 provide an import option that allows you to specify door and window types, wall obstacles and items and so on, we can’t see us using anything other than manual methods for room layout.

We have a $25K Leica Disto 3D sitting there doing nothing at the moment and have tried for many months to get 2020 to help with a cusomised import routine even if this cost us tens of thousands of $ but unfortunately have got nowhere.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.